The book covers a lot of ground around the administrative work implementing and maintaining a Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 installation. Some of the book is written especially for the R2 release, but most of the book also applies to the RTM release, and to some extend AX 2009.

Some things that Microsoft has documented rather cryptically is explained in much more understandable terms. For example, how to create and use claims users. In this way, the book is a good compliment to Microsoft documentation.

It is clear that Simon, the author, has a lot of hands-on experience installing and maintaining AX solutions-. He is good at point out severe pitfalls and to give good hints to things that just makes your admin-life easier when you know about them. The experienced hands-on angle is refreshing in contrast to the Microsoft documentation, which can seem to be a bit theoretically based.

On the downside, I do not think Packt have lived up to their responsibilities as editors of the book. Since the title includes the word “cookbook”, I would expect more crisp recipes. Recipes that not necessarily explain all the background stuff, but just tells me how to get the job done. If this was a real cookbook, it is like that, I am in some of the recipes taken though how an oven works and how potatoes are grown. That is not the fastest path to put dinner at the table. The background information should have been organized differently in my opinion.

The content is good and worth the investment in the book, the editorial work is less good.

Read more about, and buy, the book directly from Packt, Amazon or other major resellers.