Trasfering Development Objects to Production Best Practices

This question is answered

Can some one point me in the right direction for migrating new tables, forms, classes, etc. from a development environment to a production environment? 

I created a custom file import module that includes a table, class, form, menu item, etc. This is on our development server. What is the best way to transfer this to our production server? I assume that it is exporting and importing.

Also, these objects are scattered in the different branches of the AOT and they can be difficult to find to make sure all related objects are together. Is there a way of grouping these together so that I make sure everything gets transferred?

I am very new to this development environment so any help is appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • The only recommended way is to move whole layers (.aod). Because it's usually not suitable to move a layer directly from the development environment, you can build the layer in another environment, either by importing changes via .xpo files or by building from version control. From that moment, you should move the whole layer (to Test or Production), no manual changes are desirable. It ensures that exactly the code you prepared and tested is delivered (no mistakes during import etc.).

Be careful about object IDs if somebody already delivered some code in .xpo files.

About grouping of objects - open projects (Ctrl+Shift+P), create a new one, open it and click Advanced Filter/Sort (Ctrl+F3). In the Project filter dialog, click Select and define criteria for objects to be included - e.g. all objects in a specific layer or with a specific prefix. Confirm the query and filter.

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog

All Replies
  • Search for the following White Paper from Microsoft in your inet search engine:

"Deploying customizations across Microsoft Dynamics environments AX 2012"

Regards, Dirk

• Thanks for the quick reply, I am looking over the document now. However, I should have mentioned that I am using Dynamics AX 2009. Apparently the procedure has changed some between 2009 and 2012.

• The only recommended way is to move whole layers (.aod). Because it's usually not suitable to move a layer directly from the development environment, you can build the layer in another environment, either by importing changes via .xpo files or by building from version control. From that moment, you should move the whole layer (to Test or Production), no manual changes are desirable. It ensures that exactly the code you prepared and tested is delivered (no mistakes during import etc.).

Be careful about object IDs if somebody already delivered some code in .xpo files.

About grouping of objects - open projects (Ctrl+Shift+P), create a new one, open it and click Advanced Filter/Sort (Ctrl+F3). In the Project filter dialog, click Select and define criteria for objects to be included - e.g. all objects in a specific layer or with a specific prefix. Confirm the query and filter.

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog