Data Migration Framework (Beta 2) - Specifying AX as the Source?

This question has suggested answer(s)

I posted a similar question yesterday, but I'll make this one simpler.

When creating an AX source type, where do you specify which AX instance or legal entity is the source? Am I missing something glaringly obvious here? All the documentation and blog posts seem to suggest that this version supports 'copy company' features through the use of 'AX as a source'.

As above, I can create an AX source type, but nowhere can I seem to be able to specify which AX instance is the source!

Thanks,

Nick

All Replies
  • Hey Nick,

the way you want to use the AX source type is the following:

- Create processing group with entities using the AX source type

- Start "Get staging data" in the environment and the legal entity you want to copy from

- Now you can export the processing with all staging data from the "Processing group" from

- In the system you want to use your previous exported data you have to import it via "System administration > Data export / import > Import"

- To copy the staging data to target you have to start "Copy to target" in the environment and the legal entity you want to copy to

Regards,

Paul

• Hi Paul,

Hope you're well. Can you believe it was over a year ago we were in Amsterdam! Time flies....

Anyway, what you've said makes sense. Thank you.

I didn't realise it was a manual process of exporting/importing flat files to company data between AX entities, I was expecting more automation in the copy process.

Some things to note:

- I cannot execute the 'Get Staging Data' step. I am presented with a 'Query Does not contain 1 data source' error. I think this is because I am using 'Table' entity types as my entity targets within the processing group.

- Because of the above issue, I have to manually update the 'Staging Status' from 'Didn't run' to 'Ready' during the get staging data step. This is the only way I am able to view the staging data from the execution history.

- 'Copy to Target' is always disabled for me.

That said, I was successfully able to export/import a .dat file using the method you suggested.

Many thanks,

Nick

• Hey Nick,

yes I can´t believe time flies that fast, too. Hopefully there will be another AXEA-Event in Amsterdam or maybe London where we can meet again.

We had not used the "direct table" option of DMF, but maybe you don´t have to do the 'Get Staging Data' step and directly export the dat-file?

Cheers,

Paul

• I think you're right Paul. Kind of obvious when you think about it!

For what we need it for, I think I was expecting more functionality than what is already available with the standard 'definition groups'.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you're ever in London.