Question Status

Suggested Answer
Ronny Ekman asked a question on 26 Mar 2013 2:52 AM

Hi all experts out there!

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this. A company are buying and selling t-shirts in several different colors and sizes. As for now they have these t-shirts registered in AX as item type ITEM with dimensions: configuration, size, color. Sometimes they are selling these t-shirts with a print on them and in this case they are selling 2 items on the sales order: 1 t-shirt and 1 print. However I think it would be better if they could sell the printed t-shirts as BOM items. Problem is how to set up a BOM so that you affect the right ITEM (the right size and color). I dont want to create separate BOM:s for each combination of sizes and colors....If I use configuration/size/color on the BOM item/BOM version, there are no connection to the sizes and colors of the ITEMs on the BOM lines... How can I avoid creating one BOM for each and every combination of size and color??

Anyone??

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 26 Mar 2013 5:27 AM

I think you can better use supplementary items. The item "prïnt" can then be optional. You sell the same shirts and possible an additional "print". This would save you a lot of setup.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Ronny Ekman responded on 26 Mar 2013 5:46 AM

I think if I use supplementary items, the MasterPlan does not catch the requirement for the print?? And furthermore I dont get a total cost of goods sold on "BOM level".....

Ronny Ekman responded on 26 Mar 2013 6:34 AM

My main point is to find a way to avoid making a separate BOM for every separate ITEM (size, color) used in the BOM lines....

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 26 Mar 2013 7:22 AM

Maybe you can better explain the total situation. In the initial question there is no remark for purchasing the print. Now you are talking about Masterplan. What is the total process? Depending when the masterplan will be executed, also the supplementary items are taken into account.

A way of not creating all BOM items is to use Product Builder (AX2009) for it. Please note that the product builder will create the BOM when a configuration has been chosen.

Also note that the Product Builder is still available in AX2012, but will be depreciated in a future release.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 26 Mar 2013 11:15 AM

I would suggest product builder, but in addition you could do this through the configurations dimension - my question would be what does it currently hold? You could set this with dimensions to pull set items and then have one flat BOM and depending upon the choice selected in the config dimension it would look for the configuration group and flex the BOM for the set requirements.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 26 Mar 2013 11:15 AM

I would suggest product builder, but in addition you could do this through the configurations dimension - my question would be what does it currently hold? You could set this with dimensions to pull set items and then have one flat BOM and depending upon the choice selected in the config dimension it would look for the configuration group and flex the BOM for the set requirements.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.