Question Status

Suggested Answer
tom el asked a question on 25 Apr 2013 1:03 AM

Hi I have a problem

I want to move some company from production server to test server

But the company is very big and export & import take a 3 days in good case

Have another way to move company faster ?

Thank u

Kumararaja responded on 25 Apr 2013 1:35 AM

Hi,

Greetings!!!

There are other ways also.

By the way we are Microsoft Partner source company located at India.

If you are interested just send me an email. we will help you.

my email id is kumararaja_j@anantsol.com

Thanks & Regards

Kumara Raja. J

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 25 Apr 2013 2:35 PM

If it is allowed to have more companies updated in the test environment, you can also restore a SQL backup of the production database in your test environment. This is much faster.

Be sure the environments are equal with perhaps some modifications. Or make sure you have a backup of the application (model store for AX2012, Application directory for prior versions).

When restored, make sure to set some references to the appropriate server names or directories. E.g. the documents location should be changed. Batch servers are different etc.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

lally responded on 26 Apr 2013 12:12 AM

Hi Andre  ,

In  AX 2012 ,  a) what is the manual process to take the backup and explain the path in AX 2012 ?

b) How many ways we can take the backup ?

c) How many types we can take the backup? ( forexample - SQL Backup , ?)

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 26 Apr 2013 2:22 AM

Hi Lally,

There is no option to create a backup of the database from AX2012.

You need to use an already created backup by SQL or use the SQL management studio for creating an ad hoc backup of the production environment. This backup can be restored in the test environment as mentioned in my previous reply.

You can do this as often you like, but it should make sence. You have to ask: Do I miss something for testing? e.g. latest posted invoices for testing posting of recent bank account statements.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

tom el responded on 28 Apr 2013 12:01 AM

hi i send u email thnks....

this is my email elulto@gmail.com

tom el responded on 28 Apr 2013 12:03 AM

hi Andre,

my server run AX2009 + sql2008R2

u have a guide or somthing how to move compeny from server to server fast?>

thansk

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 28 Apr 2013 3:35 AM

Hi Tom,

See my previous answers for some hints and global procedures. I am not an SQL administrator. You can better ask someone else to help you on the SQL part. This is because of several settings/security within SQL. I'm not familiar with your environment and all related settings.

kind regards,

Nag Kothapalli responded on 28 Apr 2013 5:27 PM

How big is the company you are importing?

There are couple of options that could make the company import process perform at optimum level.

1. You can import company without the option "Update existing records" if you are importing whole company into TEST. This is one of the costly operations. You need to delete the company in TEST if it already exists.

2. And you could check number of records in your AX PROD database and exclude any big tables from definition group that may not be required. For example. Batch history, parm tables etc. these records are almost useless once posting job is done.

3. Make sure your SQL file size is being incremented at decent size depending on the size of company you are importing. You could change this back later if needed.

The quickest an easiest option is DB restore into TEST which will copy all companies.

You will have check/change a few references in TEST after db restore such as service accounts, file path references if any integration or document handling is used. And EP site settings if used etc.

Nag

tom el responded on 28 Apr 2013 10:52 PM

thnx Nag

i want to do this

"The quickest an easiest option is DB restore into TEST which will copy all companies.

You will have check/change a few references in TEST after db restore such as service accounts, file path references if any integration or document handling is used. And EP site settings if used etc.

"

i know to do backup/restore DB but i need a guide or samthing to do what u say

"as service accounts, file path references if any integration or document handling is used. And EP site settings if used etc." thnx

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 25 Apr 2013 2:35 PM

If it is allowed to have more companies updated in the test environment, you can also restore a SQL backup of the production database in your test environment. This is much faster.

Be sure the environments are equal with perhaps some modifications. Or make sure you have a backup of the application (model store for AX2012, Application directory for prior versions).

When restored, make sure to set some references to the appropriate server names or directories. E.g. the documents location should be changed. Batch servers are different etc.

kind regards,