Question Status

Unanswered
lally asked a question on 27 Jul 2013 12:23 AM

Hi All ,

When it comes to item master import in to Axapta 2012 , what are all the tables i need to consider ?

what is the difference between the following tables in AX 2012 ?

InventTable

EcoResProduct

EcoResProductMaster

Please share your experience .

Thanks in advance.

Thamrin Hartono responded on 27 Jul 2013 5:18 AM

Hi,

Below are tables that you need to consider:

EcoResProduct

EcoResProductTranslation

EcoResProductMasterModelingPolicy

EcoResProductVariantDimensionValue

EcoResProductDimensionGroupProduct

EcoResStorageDimensionGroupProduct

EcoResTrackingDimensionGroupProduct

EcoResProductIdentifier

lally responded on 27 Jul 2013 6:44 AM

If i export through Data Import/ Export frame work in AX 2012 , then also do i need to consider the above tables ?

Please confirm.

Murray Fife responded on 27 Jul 2013 9:06 AM

Lally,

I created a walkthrough a week or so back that shows all of the tables that need to be populated for the product import.  Maybe this will help you:

http://atinkerersnotebook.com/2013/06/17/using-excel-to-import-products-services-in-dynamics-ax/

Best Regards,

Murray.

lally responded on 27 Jul 2013 9:27 AM

Hi MURRAY ,

Thanks for sharing the above link.

I have one question like , if i i use the Data Import /Export Framework in AX 2012 , in that case do i need to import the data in the following tables

EcoResProduct (Base product)

EcoResProductTranslation (Product description)

InventTable (Released product)

or

directly can i import the data in Invent table with out considering the above ECO tables  ?

Please clarify me .

Murray Fife responded on 27 Jul 2013 9:43 AM

You need to import the EcoRes tables and the InventTable.  The EcoRes tables are for the Product details, and the InventTable will create the Released product for you.

Thamrin Hartono responded on 27 Jul 2013 9:52 AM

Hi Lally,

You can use AIF services to release the product too.

Here sample how to use it using X++ script.

http://thm-t3ch-journey.blogspot.sg/2013/07/inventory-master-data-migration-ax-2012.html.

For the product creation Murray has provided a good link using excel add in.

Best regards.

lally responded on 28 Jul 2013 12:35 AM

Hi THAMRIN ,

You mentioned that we can use the AIF services to release the product .

When we have the standard functionality like  Definition groups , Data Import / Export framework 2012 and Excel Addin  to import and export the data in AX 2012 and AX 2012 R2 .

In which case we can  use the AIF services and what are the advantages to use the AIF services when compared with above mentioned tools ?

Thanks in advance.

Thamrin Hartono responded on 28 Jul 2013 7:53 PM

Hi LALLY,

AIF services main purpose is to allow communication between AX and other applications.

You can refer to this link for more explanation technet.microsoft.com/.../gg731810.aspx

Based on my experience the standard AIF services has provided a full function (initial value, validation of data etc) when we wanted to insert, update or delete inside AX.

We can directly use the AIF class from X++ code without calling any AIF services and this will help to build your own customize import data and easy to move the script (for technical people), but less flexibility in terms of field mapping (because it's already hard-coded in the script code)

Data import / export framework 2012 already provided complete function for the data migration also provide flexibility for data mapping, but sometimes it will takes more time to do the set up also when we wanted to move the set up to another environment (I think can use Definition groups to move the data import / export framework 2012 configuration).

Definition groups is the best for master and parameters data export import (non shared table).

Excel Addin, if I'm not mistaken this feature also using AIF services to do the data read, find, insert, update and delete. This function is user friendly; easy to filled in the data, but if we not populate the data properly then the function won't run and giving an error that sometimes hard to understand.

You can combine all of the tools based on the situation and condition.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

Best regards,

Thamrin Hartono

FH-Inway responded on 29 Jul 2013 4:03 AM

The answers given to your question "Customer import - How many tables ?" by Andre Arnaud de Calavon also apply here: When you use the data import/export framework to import your data, it will first be imported to one staging table. From there, the framework will create records in all the appropriate tables