Setting up DEV env. for AX 2012 R2 in Azure

This question is answered

Hello. I'm new ERP partner. I am planning to set up virtual machine in Azure for DEV environment. What is the best way to do it?

1) I could download from licensing.microsoft.com portal AX 2012 R2, but I always got error: The OS isn't valid 32 bit system.

2) I see in the MBS PartnerPortal Demo Virtual Machines in 33 RAR parts.

-My environment is planned to set up TFS server on separate machines also in Azure. Use DEV env. on another VM and connect it with TFS so I can have good overview over the development process.

-What AX server should I use, one of these two or someone else.

Verified Answer
  • the option 2  you are downloading is a VM (VHD) although you can upload the vhd back to Azure but once these 33 RAR files are expanded it will become around 100 GB, alternatively you can download R2 from Partner source and setup a standard VM in AZure and proceed with installation. Google AX on Azure as Iaas you will find some links about how to do this.

All Replies
  • the option 2  you are downloading is a VM (VHD) although you can upload the vhd back to Azure but once these 33 RAR files are expanded it will become around 100 GB, alternatively you can download R2 from Partner source and setup a standard VM in AZure and proceed with installation. Google AX on Azure as Iaas you will find some links about how to do this.

• When using the demo machine, be also aware of the license. My interpretation of "You may use the software in the virtual hard disk image only to demonstrate and internally evaluate it" is that it doesn't include regular development.

It also contains a lot of stuff that you likely don't need, therefore I would create a new installation.

What's the OS you're struggling with?

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog

• Thanks for the tip Martin. I'm setting up W2012Ent.

But It's a lot of conflict between AX 2012 R2, SharePoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 on that OS at least.

• Yeah I think I have it now. Or at least some of the installation. I have set up every component that are needed, but now I'm struggling with the AX installation itself.