Question Status

Verified
PeterOC asked a question on 28 Sep 2013 8:32 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to install the hotfix mentioned in this article:

mbs2.microsoft.com/.../kbdisplay.aspx

but am getting the an unexpected error - details from log:

Calling AxUtil to get list of installed models.

Using AxUtil to connect to database "MinePoint_Prod" on server "<server name>".

Exception: System.ArgumentNullException

Parameter name: collection

FullText: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: collection

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.DatabaseSqlModel.DatabaseSqlModelInstanceCommon.GetInstalledModels()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.DatabaseSqlModel.DatabaseSqlModelInstanceUpdate.GetApplicableModels()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.DatabaseSqlModel.DatabaseSqlModelInstanceUpdate.IsUpgradeable()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.DatabaseSqlModel.AddInstancesFromAOSConfig()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.Driver.MainPart2(String[] args)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.Driver.Main(String[] args)

We're running AX 2012 R2  and have followed all the instructions re installing a hotfix - backed up sql server db's - taken snapshots of the app server -

We also stopped the AOS services prior to install.

If anyone can suggest a solution it would be much appreciated.

Peter

Verified Answer
Dominic Lee responded on 2 Oct 2013 12:37 AM

Hi Peteroc,

6.2.x.x is "AX2012 R2". The hotfix you trying to install is for "AX 2012" (as it is looking for models of 6.0.x.x).

You will need to find similar hotfix for AX2012 R2 instead.

Regards

kind regards,

Dominic Lee

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Huzaifa Gain responded on 30 Sep 2013 10:40 PM

Is the foundation model # 6.0.947.0

Vasudev Kochuveettil responded on 30 Sep 2013 4:34 AM

it seems that axutil is unable to connect to database "MinePoint_Prod", make sure db is online and has appropriate permissions

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 30 Sep 2013 12:42 PM

Hi Peter,

Do you yourself have enough permissions on the servers and the SQL server databases?

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

PeterOC responded on 30 Sep 2013 6:12 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I realised Axutil wasn't installed on the server I was running the update on. So I've moved beyond that an am now encountering the error message:

The provided database instance does not meet the applicatiblity requirements for this update.

I've added details from install log at the bottom of this post. I've run the update with administrator permissions. We have no previously installed cumulative updates as it's a recent implementation.

Prior to running the update I've ran the AxImpactAnalysis which reported no conflicts. I note that this hotfix is quite old at this point but have been unable to find a more recent fix for the specific problem we're encountering.

Your help is much appreciated,

Peter

Detail from Install log:

Using AxUtil to connect to database "MinePoint_Prod_Model" on server "<ServerName>".

AxUtil call is complete.

Installed models:

Layer: "Sys", name: "Foundation", publisher "Microsoft Corporation", version "6.2.158.0", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Sys", name: "Foundation Labels", publisher "Microsoft Corporation", version "6.2.158.0", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Syp", name: "Update for Foundation", publisher "Microsoft Corporation", version "6.2.1000.156", partition "Foundation"

Layer: "Syp", name: "SYP Labels", publisher "Microsoft Corporation", version "6.2.1000.156", partition "SYP-Labels"

Layer: "Fpk", name: "Data Import Export Framework", publisher "Microsoft Corporation", version "1.0.0.8", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Isv", name: "Utilities", publisher "UXC Eclipse", version "6.2.1.16", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Isv", name: "EAM", publisher "Eclipse Computing (Australia) Pty Ltd", version "1.5.5.503", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Isv", name: "PayGlobal", publisher "UXC Eclipse", version "1.0.0.0", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Isp", name: "PayGlobal (Conflict 1)", publisher "", version "1.0.0.0", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Isp", name: "Utilities (Conflict 1)", publisher "", version "1.0.0.0", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Var", name: "Eclipse Customisations", publisher "UXC Eclipse", version "6.2.1000.1", partition "N/A"

Layer: "Usr", name: "USR Model", publisher "", version "1.0.0.0", partition "N/A"

Found update model(File: \\mscs-app02\Software\02 - Hotfix\KB2579432\Extracted\Models\DynamicsAX2012-KB2579432-Foundation.axmodel, Layer: Syp, Name: Hotfix-KB2579432-Foundation, Version: 6.0.947.134, Partition: Foundation)

Found update model(File: \\mscs-app02\Software\02 - Hotfix\KB2579432\Extracted\Models\DynamicsAX2012-KB2579432-SYPLabels.axmodel, Layer: Syp, Name: SYP Labels, Version: 6.0.947.134, Partition: SYP-Labels)

Evaluating applicability requirements for model file: \\mscs-app02\Software\02 - Hotfix\KB2579432\Extracted\Models\DynamicsAX2012-KB2579432-Foundation.axmodel

Required model (Layer: SYS, Name: Foundation, Version: 6.0.947.0) is installed: False

Evaluating applicability requirements for model file: \\mscs-app02\Software\02 - Hotfix\KB2579432\Extracted\Models\DynamicsAX2012-KB2579432-SYPLabels.axmodel

Required model (Layer: SYS, Name: Foundation, Version: 6.0.947.0) is installed: False

Setup was canceled by the user.

=== Setup was canceled or failed. For details see the previous messages in the log.

=== Setup logging ended: 29/09/2013 12:06:22 PM ErrorLevel/ExitCode: '1' ===

Exception: System.InvalidOperationException

Suggested Answer
Huzaifa Gain responded on 30 Sep 2013 10:40 PM

Is the foundation model # 6.0.947.0

Huzaifa Gain responded on 30 Sep 2013 10:41 PM

if not that's what you need.

PeterOC responded on 1 Oct 2013 1:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Huzaifa.

Our foundation model is #6.2.158.0 - obviously a later version.

I was installing this to remedy a specific problem which is stopping us from posting certain invoices. The error message we're getting is mentioned in the blurb that goes with this hotfix...

Changes have been made to combination <ID of combination> since the combination was last used. The combination must be re-validated to be used.

It looks like this hotfix is not correct for our model so the question is: Is there another hotfix out there which is correct for our model or will installing a cumulative update remedy this? Should I just go for the latest one?

Vasudev Kochuveettil responded on 1 Oct 2013 1:46 AM

its always recommended to install latest CU but make sure you have a backup copy of the DB in case if something goes wrong, also test it on a test environment before you apply it onto your Prod environment

Verified Answer
Dominic Lee responded on 2 Oct 2013 12:37 AM

Hi Peteroc,

6.2.x.x is "AX2012 R2". The hotfix you trying to install is for "AX 2012" (as it is looking for models of 6.0.x.x).

You will need to find similar hotfix for AX2012 R2 instead.

Regards

kind regards,

Dominic Lee

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

PeterOC responded on 2 Oct 2013 12:55 AM

Many thanks for the replies. I'm going to mark this one as solved.

Dolee, I suspected this might be the case with model versions but it's good to have it confirmed.

Regards,

Peter

SimonJ responded on 1 Jul 2014 7:21 PM

Hi

Is there a version of hotfix KB2579432 for 2012 R2? I need to fix this combination revalidation error urgently.

Thanks