Question Status

Verified
zqr asked a question on 5 Oct 2013 5:32 AM

Is there a way to update the product variant cost price automatically when I buy the product variant. Every product variant has a different price and every time I by the product variant the cost won't change. I marked the check box 'Latest Cost price' but it doesn't effect the variant price?

Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 7 Oct 2013 7:30 AM

Hi ZQR,

I guess you are using AX2012? On the Released product form fast tab 'Cost' there is a field called 'Use cost price per variant'. You can enable this field for having different costs per variant.

It does not update the price on the released product. Also the cost prices on the form Item prices. active and pending will not be updated.

There is standard no 'latest cost price per variant' maintained in AX.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

sreess responded on 5 Jan 2014 11:21 PM

Hi Andre,

As you mentioned, the product price is updating per variant when we select ' Use cost price per variant'. But in the released product form or for the product, it is updating with the latest cost, not per variant and the same is populating at the time of quote and estimations. How can we get the exact cost per variant to be populated at the time of quotation or for other transactions..

Thanks in advance

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 6 Jan 2014 4:36 AM

Hi SREESS,

The released product form cost price is only used within an inventory journal or sales order return when no cost price is known from historical transactions (current stock).

If you are using standard cost, the cost price is always known and exactly correct.

Otherwise it will use an average cost price and after the periodic task inventory close or recalculation the real cost price will be calculated according your inventory value model. So the exact cost price it self is not known at time of the quotation.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

sreess responded on 6 Jan 2014 10:38 PM

Hi Andre,

Our issue is related to product variant cost that is appearing in Purchase request, project estimations (WBS) etc. We have a product having two variants. The purchase and cost price per variant is showing correct in Manage Cost > Item price in separate lines. We have set the product to update latest purchase price as cost price. Here, the latest variant purchase price is updating on the entire product. So whenever we do any purchase request, both variants are showing the same cost that is the purchase price of latest purchase we made. Is there any way to setup the system to select the exact variant cost while selecting any particular product variant.

Thanks

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 11 Jan 2014 2:15 AM

You would need to manage the purchase price through the trade agreements by variant otherwise it takes the base purchase price (although I thought it did take the item price from the variant but depends upon version and memory and I have not tested it). The cost is the cost from the invoiced transactions and can be held by variant and updated by transaction, however this is the cost price that is then subject to your costing method and applied on outbound transactions and then adjusted through the inventory close to the correct cost.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

sreess responded on 12 Jan 2014 6:19 AM

Still I believe, definitely there might be some settings in Ax to show the variant cost while preparing purchase requisitions. We can see it in Item Price tab on Released Products. That means the cost is updating in AX per variant. We are using CU6, no idea any other version can help in this case.

Thanks

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 7 Oct 2013 7:30 AM

Hi ZQR,

I guess you are using AX2012? On the Released product form fast tab 'Cost' there is a field called 'Use cost price per variant'. You can enable this field for having different costs per variant.

It does not update the price on the released product. Also the cost prices on the form Item prices. active and pending will not be updated.

There is standard no 'latest cost price per variant' maintained in AX.

kind regards,

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 11 Jan 2014 2:15 AM

You would need to manage the purchase price through the trade agreements by variant otherwise it takes the base purchase price (although I thought it did take the item price from the variant but depends upon version and memory and I have not tested it). The cost is the cost from the invoiced transactions and can be held by variant and updated by transaction, however this is the cost price that is then subject to your costing method and applied on outbound transactions and then adjusted through the inventory close to the correct cost.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.