Ax 2012 R2 CU 7 install only kernel components

This question has suggested answer(s)

Since CU 7 has some awesome new features like AxBuild.exe I’m wondering if it is possible to install only the kernel components?

Does anyone knows with which builds the CU 7 kernel is compatible e.g. AX 2012 RTM?

All Replies
  • When you install CU7 kernel hot fix. I would remove the previous kernel hotfix.

so you install on any build. go to control panel and in updates section you will see the kernel hotfix installed.  you can remove the kernel hot from updates in control panel.

• Hello Stefan,

CU 7 only applies to R2.

You can install only binary components but you need to fix the objects are not compliant with new axbuild tool (in particular a form with some calls to COM objects: SysInetHTMLEditor).

Regards,

Marco

• AX2012 RTM is version 6.0.x.x

AX2012 R2 is version 6.2.x.x

They can not reside together on the same system. The CU7 will not work for RTM (6.0.x.x).

Tommy Skaue | Dynamics AX Developer from Norway | http://yetanotherdynamicsaxblog.blogspot.no/ | www.axdata.no

• So CU 3-5 were skipped in order to bring R2 CU 6 inline with RTM CU 6 from a versioning perspective.  If CU 7 only applies to R2, does that mean we'll get an RTM version of CU 7 in the future, or will RTM then skip CU 7 when CU 8 comes out for both RTM or R2?  Or, is RTM falling off the support chain somehow?  Somewhere someone thinks this is all a perfectly good idea I'm sure.

• @Brandon.

Take a look at this page: mbs2.microsoft.com/.../kbdisplay.aspx

Next text is quoted from this page:

Announcing cumulative update numbering changes

Cumulative update 6 is the second cumulative update for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. As of cumulative update 6, we are changing the numbering scheme for cumulative updates to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. We will release cumulative updates with the same release number for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 and the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and Feature Pack versions. The version-specific cumulative updates may not be released simultaneously, and cumulative updates for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 will be released first.

Until today I have not seen CU6 or CU7 for AX2012 RTM and/or the Feature Pack versions. So the question is if the information on this page is correct or not.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• Thanks a lot for you answers. So to summarize:

- CU 7 is only for AX 2012 R2 available

- eventually a version for AX 2012 RTM will be available

- Install of only hotfix is possible but some issues must be fixed in application (manually)

• You can upgrade kernels but leave application (SYP) at an earlier version, as long as you do not mix RTM with R2 (6.0 and 6.2).

:-)

Tommy Skaue | Dynamics AX Developer from Norway | http://yetanotherdynamicsaxblog.blogspot.no/ | www.axdata.no