Question Status

Verified
Loic Orue asked a question on 13 Nov 2013 8:13 AM

Hello,

I am working with  BOM versions in AX 2012 atm and I think I fail to understand the use of the versioning of a BOM. From what I learn't, each version is defined by it's date and the site, and i thought that each version was kind of independent regarding the composition of the BOM

By this I mean that if I'm making a pen which has a spring in it. Half of the year I get my spring from one vendor (A) and the rest of the year i get my spring from an other vendor (B).

I thought that with versions, I could create a version of the pen which included the spring from vendor A and a second version with the spring from Vendor B. The problem is, when I change the lines for one version, it changes the lines for all the versions and the only thing that seems to be version dependent is the "Calculation". I can see how I could also manage to do this with configurations of the BOM, including spring A and B in the lines and picking the one I want to use when I make the item but if that is the case, what are versions actually for then?

Thanks in advance,

Suggested Answer
Tommy Skaue responded on 13 Nov 2013 12:26 PM

I haven't tampered too much with BOM in AX2012, but here is at least how it used to work in AX2009:

www.dynamicsaxtraining.com/.../bills-of-material

I was under the impression this is pretty much the same in AX2012, but I might be wrong.

Tommy Skaue | Dynamics AX Developer from Norway | http://yetanotherdynamicsaxblog.blogspot.no/ | www.axdata.no

Verified Answer
lispyj responded on 13 Nov 2013 3:11 PM

Each Bom Version relates to a specific item, while the BOMTable record does not.  So, to accomplish what you need, you need to create two BOMs, one with the spring from vendor A(BOM 1) and one with the spring from vendor b (BOM 2).  The item number for the Pen would have two bom version records.  The bom version Item = Pen, Bom= BOM 1 would have a to date of 7/1/2013. The bom version Item = Pen, Bom= Bom2 would have a from date of 7/2/2013.  Vendor A springs would be used the first 1/2 of the year and Vendor B springs would be used the second 1/2.  Bom versions can also be quantity specific.  Production orders building > 100 can use a bulk item and < 100 can use a standard item.  

Verified Answer
Jacob Roder responded on 13 Nov 2013 3:13 PM

Hey Loic,

As a follow up to Tommy below, in 2012 they're basically the same as 2009.  If you'd like the ability to choose two different versions of an item (one using a spring from vendor A and one using a spring from Vendor B), and if they should be managed independently in your inventory but you'd like to use the same part number, you’re right, configurations might be what you're looking for.

It sounds, though, like you might be creating a single BOM and then trying to link it (via BOM versions) to the same item more than once with different validity dates.  If you were then to change this BOM, it would be changed in all the items where it’s referred to in a BOM version.

Again, based on my understanding of your issue, it sounds like you might want to create a new BOM.  You would then have two separate BOM IDs that look the same, except one of them has the spring from vendor A (let’s call this BOM_0001) and the other has the spring from vendor B (let’s call this BOM_0002).  When accessing the pen item’s BOM from “Released products””Engineer” tab””BOM lines” button, two BOMs would be added as BOM versions.  BOM_0001 would have effectivity dates of 1/1/13 to 6/30/13 and BOM_0002 would have an effectivity date of 7/1/13 to 12/31/13.  Since there’s no overlap between the dates, both of these BOM versions could be active at the same time.

Other people have used this functionality to create multiple active BOM versions for the same item based on quantity.  For example, the BOM needed when you’re creating production orders for 1-10 of an item may be very different from the BOM needed when you’re creating 100-1000 of the same item.

I hope this helps.  It’s difficult to explain without pointing things out on a screen and demonstrating the functionality.

-Jake

Loic Orue responded on 14 Nov 2013 12:32 AM

Thanks a lot for your answers guys, so if I get this right, for each "alternative" version of my BOM that is not based on colour size, site, etc... (which is managed through configurations), but is based on production mode (like choosing if I'm going to produce the spring or buy it from a vendor) I have to create a new BOM and BOM # which will be linked to my BOM Item through versions?

Thanks again!

Suggested Answer
Jacob Roder responded on 20 Nov 2013 3:35 PM

Loic,

Sounds like you're right on track.  If you want to create multiple version of BOMs for the same item based on if you want to buy the item or build the item, and you switch between them on a frequent basis when creating production orders, you would want to create multiple versions for those BOMs.

If, however, you've decided that you'll no longer build a given subassembly and you'll instead buy it, you should be able to either stop explosion on the item or change the "planned order type" in the default order settings to "purchase order" instead of "production order" instead of creating a whole new BOM version for the item.

Make sense?

-Jake

Verified Answer
lispyj responded on 13 Nov 2013 3:11 PM

Each Bom Version relates to a specific item, while the BOMTable record does not.  So, to accomplish what you need, you need to create two BOMs, one with the spring from vendor A(BOM 1) and one with the spring from vendor b (BOM 2).  The item number for the Pen would have two bom version records.  The bom version Item = Pen, Bom= BOM 1 would have a to date of 7/1/2013. The bom version Item = Pen, Bom= Bom2 would have a from date of 7/2/2013.  Vendor A springs would be used the first 1/2 of the year and Vendor B springs would be used the second 1/2.  Bom versions can also be quantity specific.  Production orders building > 100 can use a bulk item and < 100 can use a standard item.  

Verified Answer
Jacob Roder responded on 13 Nov 2013 3:13 PM

Hey Loic,

As a follow up to Tommy below, in 2012 they're basically the same as 2009.  If you'd like the ability to choose two different versions of an item (one using a spring from vendor A and one using a spring from Vendor B), and if they should be managed independently in your inventory but you'd like to use the same part number, you’re right, configurations might be what you're looking for.

It sounds, though, like you might be creating a single BOM and then trying to link it (via BOM versions) to the same item more than once with different validity dates.  If you were then to change this BOM, it would be changed in all the items where it’s referred to in a BOM version.

Again, based on my understanding of your issue, it sounds like you might want to create a new BOM.  You would then have two separate BOM IDs that look the same, except one of them has the spring from vendor A (let’s call this BOM_0001) and the other has the spring from vendor B (let’s call this BOM_0002).  When accessing the pen item’s BOM from “Released products””Engineer” tab””BOM lines” button, two BOMs would be added as BOM versions.  BOM_0001 would have effectivity dates of 1/1/13 to 6/30/13 and BOM_0002 would have an effectivity date of 7/1/13 to 12/31/13.  Since there’s no overlap between the dates, both of these BOM versions could be active at the same time.

Other people have used this functionality to create multiple active BOM versions for the same item based on quantity.  For example, the BOM needed when you’re creating production orders for 1-10 of an item may be very different from the BOM needed when you’re creating 100-1000 of the same item.

I hope this helps.  It’s difficult to explain without pointing things out on a screen and demonstrating the functionality.

-Jake

Suggested Answer
Tommy Skaue responded on 13 Nov 2013 12:26 PM

I haven't tampered too much with BOM in AX2012, but here is at least how it used to work in AX2009:

www.dynamicsaxtraining.com/.../bills-of-material

I was under the impression this is pretty much the same in AX2012, but I might be wrong.

Tommy Skaue | Dynamics AX Developer from Norway | http://yetanotherdynamicsaxblog.blogspot.no/ | www.axdata.no

Suggested Answer
Jacob Roder responded on 20 Nov 2013 3:35 PM

Loic,

Sounds like you're right on track.  If you want to create multiple version of BOMs for the same item based on if you want to buy the item or build the item, and you switch between them on a frequent basis when creating production orders, you would want to create multiple versions for those BOMs.

If, however, you've decided that you'll no longer build a given subassembly and you'll instead buy it, you should be able to either stop explosion on the item or change the "planned order type" in the default order settings to "purchase order" instead of "production order" instead of creating a whole new BOM version for the item.

Make sense?

-Jake