Question Status

Suggested Answer
claganson asked a question on 1 Feb 2014 5:51 AM

We would like the journal to print in summary instead of detail.  We thought we knew where this was set (GL setup area -> Journals -> Journal names) and have the posting for the AR Payment Journal set to summary yet it continues to post in detail.  Am I in the wrong place or is there an additional setup somewhere?

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 2 Feb 2014 2:19 PM

Hi,

This is a setting for new journals. When creating a journal this setting is copied to the journal header. (LedgerJournalTable).

So if you change the setting on the journal name, already existing journals are not affected unless you change it prior to post.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Zvika Rimalt responded on 3 Feb 2014 12:34 AM

First - do you want the journal to PRINT in summary or to POST in summary.

The setting on the journal name is for POSTING purposes.

Second - I am not sure I understand what you mean by "summary" in this context.

The nature of the use of the AR payment journal is that each payment is recorded as a single line - with credit going to the customer subledger (and AR summary account), and the debit going to the bank subledger (and the ledger account associated with the bank account)

Hence - each voucher of AR payment journal includes EXACTLY 2 lines - debit/credit.

How further this can be summarized?

Summarizing of posting can happen when you have multiple lines in a voucher (=more than 2)

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

claganson responded on 3 Feb 2014 4:11 AM

I am referring to how it posts in the General Ledger.  I want to go to my GL account and see just a single debit to AR and a single credit to Cash for the total of the payment journal not for each individual check that was entered.  

claganson responded on 3 Feb 2014 4:13 AM

Yes I understand but we've had that setting as it is for a year and every new journal that creates posts to the GL in detail and not summary.  I just would like to see a debit to AR and a credit to cash for the entire journal if I run the Detailed General Ledger report.  Right now I see each individual check in the GL.

Suggested Answer
Zvika Rimalt responded on 3 Feb 2014 11:57 PM

What is the business reason for your request?

Is that related to performing bank reconciliation?

If these are all receipts that were deposited at the same time, you can use the Deposit Slip functionality to make them look like a single deposit in the bank sub ledger (but not on the GL!)

To make multiple sub ledger posting (from the customer subledger) show up on the general ledger as a single line, does not strike me as a recommended business practice - it will make reconciliation of AR to GL complicated since there will not longer be 1-1 relation of posting to AR and posting to GL.

In any case, what you ask for is not available out of the box in AX.

I would be  surprised if such feature did exist, as AX does try many times to enforce best practices.

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

Avtar Singh responded on 4 Feb 2014 1:02 PM

The solution for what your are searching for is quite a common request.  This can be accomplished by setting the Journal that you are using to Summary instead of Detail.  In addition, you will have to set the New voucher number property to One Voucher Only.  Without this option, the summary will not work.  It would be advisable to test this configuration with regards to your business process for how reversals are handled as this voucher numbering will impact your decision.

Zvika Rimalt responded on 4 Feb 2014 1:30 PM

oh, I double checked and you're right!

On the AP invoice journal form the system prevent you from having more than one 'Vendor' posting in the same voucher, but that restriction does not exist in the AP or AR payment journal forms.

Thanks for chiming in! mea culpa

claganson responded on 6 Feb 2014 9:36 AM

Thank you so much for explaining.  This is now working exactly as we had hoped. We were missing the setting on the New Voucher number property.

WholesaleBoutique responded on 21 Feb 2014 9:29 AM

We are having the same issue. We have tried setting the journal to summary instead of Detail and set the new voucher number property to one voucher only and it still is not working. Is there any other settings that need to be changed for this to work?

Suggested Answer
Zvika Rimalt responded on 3 Feb 2014 11:57 PM

What is the business reason for your request?

Is that related to performing bank reconciliation?

If these are all receipts that were deposited at the same time, you can use the Deposit Slip functionality to make them look like a single deposit in the bank sub ledger (but not on the GL!)

To make multiple sub ledger posting (from the customer subledger) show up on the general ledger as a single line, does not strike me as a recommended business practice - it will make reconciliation of AR to GL complicated since there will not longer be 1-1 relation of posting to AR and posting to GL.

In any case, what you ask for is not available out of the box in AX.

I would be  surprised if such feature did exist, as AX does try many times to enforce best practices.