How to hide an article

This question is answered

Hi all,

I would like to know how I can hide some article so users can't see them in inventory management? I don't want to delete them, I just want to hide them.

Verified Answer
  • In the system administration menu you can setup record level security. In this form you select the table InventTable and choose the applicable user group. Then you can specify the query which items they are allowed to see.

You can do this based on item numbers or better a property on the item where you specify this item is no longer used. Or maybe the query excludes some item groups.

NOTE: If the user has multiple roles where they have access to the InventTable. All roles must be setup with the record level security.

In the past I once removed the table from the user groups. Then on one or mulltiple user groups I only gave access to the Table and so I could manage easily the record level security for multiple users.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

All Replies
  • Which version of AX are you using?

If AX2012: you can setup an eXtensible Data Security (XDS) policy. You need to have an identifier when to hide the item.

In other versions you can try to use record level security.This is also possible in AX2012, but the feature will be depreciated in a next version as XDS is the replacement.

Otherwise, you will need a modification on form level.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• I am using AX 2009, how can I do it on this version?

• In the system administration menu you can setup record level security. In this form you select the table InventTable and choose the applicable user group. Then you can specify the query which items they are allowed to see.

You can do this based on item numbers or better a property on the item where you specify this item is no longer used. Or maybe the query excludes some item groups.

NOTE: If the user has multiple roles where they have access to the InventTable. All roles must be setup with the record level security.

In the past I once removed the table from the user groups. Then on one or mulltiple user groups I only gave access to the Table and so I could manage easily the record level security for multiple users.

kind regards,

• Thanks for your help Andre, sorry to have waited this long to answer. I did exactly what you told me, but the group of article I chose to make invisible is still there. Everybody can see it even the group of people I put a restriction on. I join the images to show you how I did it, I hope someone will be able to find me a solution.

Thank you

• Hi,

The images are not visible to me.

kind regards,

• I've try to add a screen shot but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, despite the fact that I created a query concerning an item group we call "Lub03" and I made that restriction on a user group called "Adminxxx" a user who is only part of the group Adminxxx can still see these articles. Maybe there is something wrong that I have done but I don't know what.