Graphical Scheduling Tool - AX2012

This question is answered

There are quite a few graphical scheduling tools on the market and I am sure many have been integrated into the base system. I was wondering what peoples opinions of this sort of tool is. Do you use the Gantt scheduling and graphical capacity load tools inherent in AX or have you integrated with tools like Preactor? My experience has shown in many implementations a tool is discussed but rarely implemented and the "graphical" requirements recede. Just wondering what other consultants were experiencing.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
  • There is a difference with interfaced solutions and integrated solutions. I always favorite integrated and embedded AX solutions as this has the same user interface, single database and so really real-time planning. You can have a look at www.dynamicssoftware.com/.../realtime-planning-a-scheduling. This is the only graphical planning that can handle production orders, project activities, service orders and maintenance orders from 1 overview.

Eric Veldkamp Dynamics Software The Netherlands Newtonstraat 27A 3902 HP VEENENDAAL Tel: +31 (0)318 507800 Fax: +31 (0)318 518604 Fax by mail: +31 (0)84-8710053 Mobile: +31 (0)6-51470188 Skype: dysevp Email: eveldkamp@dynamicssoftware.com www.dynamicssoftware.com
All Replies
  • There is a difference with interfaced solutions and integrated solutions. I always favorite integrated and embedded AX solutions as this has the same user interface, single database and so really real-time planning. You can have a look at www.dynamicssoftware.com/.../realtime-planning-a-scheduling. This is the only graphical planning that can handle production orders, project activities, service orders and maintenance orders from 1 overview.

Eric Veldkamp Dynamics Software The Netherlands Newtonstraat 27A 3902 HP VEENENDAAL Tel: +31 (0)318 507800 Fax: +31 (0)318 518604 Fax by mail: +31 (0)84-8710053 Mobile: +31 (0)6-51470188 Skype: dysevp Email: eveldkamp@dynamicssoftware.com www.dynamicssoftware.com
  • The inherent tools in Ax be it the Gantt chart/Capacity load/Task Dispatching aren't sufficient enough for a regular real time usage but are good for a demo :)  In my experiences i always see that the production planners feel short of insight/flexibility in these inbuilt systems. There are extensions that are native or integrated.Some of them are simple and handly like Scalable's sequencing system http://bit.ly/17XR3dI , Innovites bottleneck planning http://bit.ly/YFfgTj. The Dynamics Software's Graphical Planning and Scheduling. All these mentioned above use the Ax scheduling brain and act as a wrap around it. While solutions like Preactor, Planettogether, Rockysoft are comprehensive and bring in planning best practices along with them. It depends on the need and the budget mostly a choice is made. 

Graphical Planning is always given a lot of importance during pre-sales but recede because the company spends its energy in getting the system live but what i also see is once the company get's comfortable with the system Planning is something that they really look up to.

- Kamal

MyBlog | Twitter | LinkedIn