Question Status

Verified
John Hannan asked a question on 18 Jun 2013 1:43 PM

Hi,

In my travel and expense module, the invoices generate just fine but post to the employee's vendor account as one invoice per expense line?  I would prefer one invoice per expense report with the GL detail split out into separate offsets.  Is anyone aware of a way to configure the system in this way?

Thanks,

John

Sandeep Chaudhury responded on 19 Jun 2013 6:07 AM

John,

For all the expense lines of the expense report, system will create one line for the Vendor transaction(Liability) and individual debit lines for the expenses. See screen below.

Is this not happening in your system ? Can you send me a screenshot of your expense report and the voucher after posting it ?

Regards,

Sandeep Chaudhury| Microsoft Dynamics AX Consultant | My Blog 

John Hannan responded on 19 Jun 2013 6:25 AM

Hi Sandeep,

Your screen shot is how I would want my system to behave.  Is there also only one open invoice on the vendor in your case as well?  That is what I really want so an AP person does not have to manage multiple payments.

The below postings show that for one expense report (CORP-000005) with 2 lines, there are separate vouchers and separate payables.  I am curious now as if this is because the expense lines have a different date.  Employees are entering the actual date of the expense so a one week trip will have many lines.  I am going to test this now but think that must be it.  Do you advise people to enter one date for all transactions?

Thank you very much for leading me to the solution.
John

Verified Answer
Sandeep Chaudhury responded on 19 Jun 2013 7:13 AM

I see your scenario now. If the expense lines are on different dates, then system will create different vendor invoices. From system's point of view, this is correct also, as the amounts needs to be accounted on correct dates. Also system cannot know on which date to create the single vendor invoice line.

But I agree in terms of the AP users that they will need to make multiple payments for the same expense reports.

Per my knowledge, there is no parameter controlling this. Let others share if any one has come across any such parameters.

Regards,

John Hannan responded on 19 Jun 2013 7:22 AM

Thanks again.  I agree with the system logic and do not think there will be a parameter for it.

I am surprised that there is not a standard functionality for 2 dates on the line, one for "expense date" which is informational and one for "transaction date" which drives the postings.  You could have a parameter to have the transaction date default to the expense date or the date of physical entry.

Maybe we will see that in a future release!

John

Suggested Answer
Zvika Rimalt responded on 23 Jun 2013 11:54 AM

From an accounting point of view, an expense needs to be recorded in the books when the expense has been uncured, so I don't think there is anything wrong with recording the expense/invoice for the date it is reported on.

However, having multiple invoices does not mean there need to be multiple payments.

If you set all these invoices with a Method of Payment, where period field is set to "Total", then when you perform your payment run, all these "invoices" will be accumulated into a single payment for the total amount.

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

Zvika Rimalt responded on 23 Jun 2013 11:55 AM

uncured >> incurred (darn auto spell correct!)

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

Sandeep Chaudhury responded on 24 Jun 2013 5:12 AM

Yup Zvika. Your recommendation is correct. It all depends on the Method of Payment configuration.

Thank you.

Regards,

John Hannan responded on 24 Jun 2013 5:45 AM

No argument from me on the accounting priciples of recording the expense on the day it occured, and paying all open invoices with one payment makes sense.

The only thing we run into is the reality that people don't always do their expenses on time and may be turning in expenses that occured in a closed accounting period.  In this case, it would be nice to have a "expense date" and a "posting date".

Zvika Rimalt responded on 26 Jun 2013 9:46 PM

I just discovered another thread for the same issue.

Apparently, Microsoft is recognizing there is a design flaw here, and some people managed to get a hotfix

community.dynamics.com/.../94682.aspx

jesse12345 responded on 18 Mar 2014 11:03 AM

The Employee Portal is creating a new invoice for each employee expense line item regardless of the date.  We tested this using multiple lines with the same date.  Multiple invoices were still created. Any other ideas?

Verified Answer
Sandeep Chaudhury responded on 19 Jun 2013 7:13 AM

I see your scenario now. If the expense lines are on different dates, then system will create different vendor invoices. From system's point of view, this is correct also, as the amounts needs to be accounted on correct dates. Also system cannot know on which date to create the single vendor invoice line.

But I agree in terms of the AP users that they will need to make multiple payments for the same expense reports.

Per my knowledge, there is no parameter controlling this. Let others share if any one has come across any such parameters.

Regards,

Suggested Answer
Zvika Rimalt responded on 23 Jun 2013 11:54 AM

From an accounting point of view, an expense needs to be recorded in the books when the expense has been uncured, so I don't think there is anything wrong with recording the expense/invoice for the date it is reported on.

However, having multiple invoices does not mean there need to be multiple payments.

If you set all these invoices with a Method of Payment, where period field is set to "Total", then when you perform your payment run, all these "invoices" will be accumulated into a single payment for the total amount.