AX 2012 Unit conversions - Unit class

This question is answered

Hi, I'm working with a product which has an inventory unit of '25 litre can' , which I've setup with a Unit class of 'Quanity', (like 'Each)', but I want to report it in Litres.

However I cannot setup a 'Standard unit conversion' which applies to all items becuase I've setup the Litres unit of measure as a 'Liquid volume'

I read that Unit class is used with 'Base unit' to simplify setting up of conversion of units within the same class - but does it have any other purpose within the system?

For instance, what would happen if I 'cheat' and setup Litres with a unit class of 'Quantity'? Then I'd be able to setup just one 'standard' unit conversion and it'd apply to all items using those units.

Thanks

Tim

Verified Answer
  • Hi Steve - no, I was too much of a perfectionist to cheat - we resolved the problem by doing a data load of item specific unit conversions from CAN25 to Litre. So no repercussions.

Regards

Tim

All Replies
  • Hi Tim

I have been looking in this sort of area recently so thought I would update this one :-)

The change to the UOM also impacted on the fixed and system units from AX2009 and I believe the base unit is now used to represent elements that have no defined UOM but are one. My obvious point is the weight and dimension measurements of the item record - you define them but no UOM, so as weight is mass your base unit of mass would be the UOM to define the item weight.

In my fairly fruitless search as well as coming across this post I read the same "simplify unit conversion" reference.

I would suggest that as there is no base liquid volume definition in AX you could (and probably should) define Litres with a unit class of quantity to enable the global definition.

However 9 months after you have asked the question, and presumably after the "cheat" have you had any repercussions?

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Hi Steve - no, I was too much of a perfectionist to cheat - we resolved the problem by doing a data load of item specific unit conversions from CAN25 to Litre. So no repercussions.

Regards

Tim