Question Status

Verified
Andrew Huey asked a question on 11 Jul 2013 2:03 PM

Hi. I am currently working on a plan to upgrade my company's TFS server from TFS 2008 to 2012. This will be a migration-based upgrade, so I'll be moving to a new server. The old server URL is something like http://tfs1:8080/ and the new server URL will look like http://tfs2:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection/.

I've done a test upgrade, and verified that AX 2012 can attach to a new TFS 2012 server, but, to switch over, it seems like, if I change the URL, then I have to set up a new repository folder, and that kicks off a whole new sync, from scratch. I'm not sure if that will cause the status of checked-out files to get lost or confused. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Is there a way for me to change the URL in a config file somewhere instead of doing it through the menus (Version Control > Version Control Parameters), and would that help me avoid having to switch the repo folder?

I'd like to be able to do the upgrade in such a way that we don't have a requirement to check in all files first, but I've found conflicting info on the web about whether or not that's possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andrew Huey | SHI | Developer

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 11 Jul 2013 10:54 PM

I would actually keep the URL the same - go to TFS administration console > Application Tier > Change URLs and set the same URL as originally, so everything could use TFS exactly as before.

As far as I know, you simply can't remap existing workspace to a different version control server. You have to put changes to version control if you want them to be migrated to a new server. Your checked-out files wouldn't be lost of confused, they would just still refer to the old TFS instance.

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 11 Jul 2013 10:54 PM

I would actually keep the URL the same - go to TFS administration console > Application Tier > Change URLs and set the same URL as originally, so everything could use TFS exactly as before.

As far as I know, you simply can't remap existing workspace to a different version control server. You have to put changes to version control if you want them to be migrated to a new server. Your checked-out files wouldn't be lost of confused, they would just still refer to the old TFS instance.

Andrew Huey responded on 12 Jul 2013 5:44 AM

Martin -

I was thinking about doing that, but I can't figure out how to make the URLs match exactly. The actual URL in that screen on the new server is http://tfs2:8080/tfs, so I can see how I could map it to http://tfs1:8080/, but I don't know how I could remove the collection name from the URL. So, I'd still be entering a different URL into the AX version control config screen, and triggering the necessity for a full sync and all that.

I've been assuming that the addition of team project collections would make it impossible to make the new server URL for 2012 look exactly like the old server URL from 2008, but maybe there's a trick that I'm missing.

Andrew Huey | SHI | Developer

Martin Dráb responded on 15 Jul 2013 12:15 PM

I think you should be able to use any URL that your DNS server can handle (sorry if it's not precise, I'm not a network admin). By the way, if you use the default set, "tfs" is a virtual folder (= a part of URL defined by you) and the default project collection is used.

I was not sure about that, but I was told that workspaces and pending objects will be unaffected if you migrate your server to the same name. Nevertheless I would first check in everything, so it all gets into DB and is backed up before upgrade - even if something failed, nobody would loose any code.

Because this discussion is purely about TFS and not AX, I wanted to recommend you to go to the appropriate MSDN forum, but I see you already did. Just let us know if you need something AX-specific or if you learn something interesting. :-)