AX Unit Conversion

This question is not answered

I am facing a challenge with a client. The client is into shoe manufacturing, They buy leather and make shoes. When leather is bought it has got two units .

1 Piece ( counting of leather happens in piece)

2. Sqft ( Value of leather is in Sqft and all issues happen in Sqft)

Leather is bought in piece with sqft being the measurement used for the piece. 1 piece may be 10 sqft of leather and another piece may be 20 Sqft of leather. Now this measurement being non standard how to configure this in AX. They generally do stock counting with piece but they value leather based on Sqft and also issue leather to production in Sqft.

Kindly help me in giving a solution to this problem.

Regards,

Santhosh Kumar R

All Replies
  • Hi,  Which UOM is used in Inventory valuation? I came across a similar scenario in the Steel Industry where Steel plates are procured in MT and issues as pieces. However valuation was in MT. We had to go and create a dual UOM for this and I think you may also need to go for the Dual UOM.

Hope it helps.

Arijit Basu MVP - Microsoft Dynamics AX http://daxguy.blogspot.com
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My client would use for valuation purpose Sqft and for taking stock count they would use pieces. Now I do not understand how this Dual UOM can be applied. May I request for a detailed explanation. I

The challenge in my case I do not have standard measurement for a piece. Each piece will have its own measurement.

I cannot define 1 Piece =10 or 20 Sqft. Each time whenever I buy leather it will vary. Hope I am making it clear to you.

• To create the Units follow the path:

• Company / Basic / Basic Area
    • Select Units > Units

Here create the required Unit (i.e. Gr - to represent Grams) with required information:

• Identification > Units (Create individual stock-keeping units)
    • Formatting > Decimals (Specify the number of decimals for the stock-keeping unit to display)
    • Description > Name (Enter descriptive text to identify the inventory unit)

Click Setup > Unit conversion

if you want to specify this conversion to a single item only than you may select the specific item otherwise leave it blank.

1. Click New
    2. Leave First Conversion Line as it is, Click New again for second line
    3. In the Factor field, specify the conversion factor and any quantity added upon conversion
    4. In the To unit field, specify the inventory unit you want to convert to
    5. In the Round off field, select a rounding method for the To unit
    6. Repeat step 2 for adding more conversions
    7. Close the form and you can then choose the alternative unit for the item in the Item form

I hope the you have required solution, however if you still have any question you can prompt agian, I would be please to help.

Waqar Ahmed Functional Consultant at Maison Consulting & Solutions Email: waqar.ahmed@m-consultants.com PAK Cell: +92 (300) 9461552 KSA Cell: +966 (56) 2034193 Http: http://www.maison-global.com
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. You did not answer my question. I have explained my scenario. I am not asking how to create a UOM . Please understand my scenario and try to explain.

• I get that, it really is a big challange.

As I too had been the part of an implementation at a shoe manufacturing concern but didn't faced such issue. The reason behind is that our client was educated about the quantity of an item in detail. This is common with shoe manufacturers that they go for peices and sqft both. However, in my case my client understood the concept of quantity so he was given a standard UOM and conversion was used whenever there was pieces involved but they always were counted 1pcs=10sqft.

I hope you can convince your client as well, and if you find any solution you have my email address, so don't forget to post me too.

Waqar Ahmed Functional Consultant at Maison Consulting & Solutions Email: waqar.ahmed@m-consultants.com PAK Cell: +92 (300) 9461552 KSA Cell: +966 (56) 2034193 Http: http://www.maison-global.com
  • Hi Waqar,

Thank you once again for your reply. Its interesting to know you also had similar experience and really appreciate the fact for convincing the client. But here in my case what is happening is if I set the standard as 1 Piece =10 Sqft then the client may end up loosing lot of value in leather if the measurement is larger than 10 sqft. For eg :A calf leather mesures different from cow . Likewise each cow, buffalo, goat, sheep will be of different size and they will measue different sqft per piece. So it becomes difficult for the client to loose out so much sqft per piece. I will definitely let you know if I get a solution. But in the meantime if you get any idea please share it with me.

Regards,

Santhosh Kumar R

+919884190307

• Thank you for your understanding, but this issue has really got me finding solution for it too.

I had a discussion with one of my frineds and came to the following conclusion you may follow the procedure below, hope that can help you resolve it.

Purchase should be made in SQFT unit and inventory should be updated by PCS unit.

I was unable to give it a try due to the tight schedule, please do try it and don't forget post your feedback.

• Standard AX can't handle this. It's also known as catch weight and is common in the food industry where they buy for eg a chicken and it also has a weight. You basically need two units of measure... one for the quantity and another for weight (food) or length (steel or wood) or area (in your example).

You can check with fullscope. I know they have some catchweight functionality in their processing manufacturing module. Do a search for AX and catch weight and you'll find a few options.

• http://www.scalable.com.au/microsoft_dynamics_ax.htm

www.scalableds.com.au/Whitepapers&Brochures/SDS%20Add%20ons/Catch%20Weight%20Management.pdf

better check these links, cause you are right no solution within AX, though the functionality can be achieved by getting Scalable module in it.

This was a really nice and useful information for me aswell. Thank you.

• Hi Diana,

Thank you very much for your reply. Many thanks to you for understanding my scenario and giving me reference.

Regards,

Santhosh Kumar R

• Hi Waqar,

Many thanks to you for getting the link. I guess, I now need to figure how to solve this.

Regards,

Santhosh Kumar R 

• How does one convert a 4 place purchase price cost to the 2 place that AX only allows. The example would be a resistor that cost.0013 to purchase by reel and I need this cost in AX

Thx John

• Hello Santhosh,

I've almost the same problem and i found your post today. One of my customer is a hose producer and they need to catch their transactions both in pieces and in meters. For example when a customer places an order, he/she says "I want 10X10meters(100meter) of x item. And also my customer wants to see the inventory in both way. Onhand inventory should be seen like this;

ItemID ---- On Hand 1 ---- On Hand 2 ----- Total On Hand

XYZ    ----  10 meters ---- 10 pieces ------ 100 meters

ABC    ----  20 meters ---- 40 pieces ------ 800 meters 

I think that this can be mentioned as lot size but i don't know how to do...

Have you found a solution about your problem and if you did, how did you handled?

Thanks in advance...

• Hi

We have developed a small solution to this issue that can handle more than one UOM and relate it to each other

for instance UOM can be a BOX then a PEICE or a No where a box = 24 oeices

Also conversion between item UOM

Will come back to you with more details if you are intrested

Hassan El-Meligy

Hassan El-Meligy

Senior Business Consultant

• Hi,

I'll be grateful if you can tell me about details. I'm still working on it...

Thanks in advance...