Question Status

Verified
Pkarpowich asked a question on 24 Mar 2014 11:45 AM

Hi All,

I am working with a client to load journal entries in to AX 2012. We were using the excel-add in but ran into some issues with it, so I started to look at using the DIEF.

I seem to have run into a problem with it though, which hopefully someone can help me with. I am working with the Opening Balance target entity. I believe this is what I should be using, but if not. please let me know?

We want to import financial dimensions along with the account numbers in the structure of Account Number - Business Unit - Cost Center. This is how the account structure is set up for the accounts we want to use. Will it be possible to import these dimensions in through the DIEF, and if so, how?

So is it possible to do what I would like to using the DIEF with minimal modifications?

Thanks,

Philip

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 24 Mar 2014 3:13 PM

Hi Philip,

First of all you have the correct entity (Opening Balance). You need to setup which dimensions you want to use in what order in the file type.

Within the string you will provide for the LedgerDimension, you need to specify in one field : Account Number - Business Unit - Cost Center.

Can you indicate which version of AX and DIXF you are using? There was an error in the second beta version of this tool.

One of my collegues had a problem last week. He was using this version as well.

See also this blog: domhk.blogspot.nl/.../data-import-export-framework-financial.html.

Besides this possible code change, you can use this entity standard.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 25 Mar 2014 7:38 AM

Hi Philip,

You can check if there is a separate model for Data Import/Export Framework in the form Installed models. If there is one in the USR   or FPK layer, it is the beta version, which is working quite OK in general. If you know it was downloaded from Information source, it is also the beta version.

Some people did an partly installation from the CU7 update to only apply this Data Import/Export Framework. This version has an option to copy entitiy data between companies.

If it is the beta, check the code as mentioned in the blog provided in my previous reply.

Concerning the "-" as separator. It is possible to do this setup within the form Source Data Formats. Per format you can do these settings on the Tab 'Application'.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 24 Mar 2014 5:23 PM

Yes it is possble to import GL opening balance using DIEF..

DIEF by default having Opening balance entity created which you can use

only you need to configure your DIEF module to use it

Configureation required is related to the input file format (csv file or any other..)

you need to specify the financial dimension sequence and its delimeter (in your case it sould be Account Number - Business Unit - Cost Center) as you want.

Please review section

Configure source data format for data from Microsoft Dynamics AX

in following link for more detail

technet.microsoft.com/.../jj225596.aspx

Please verfiy if this information solves your query

Please update with your feedback.

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 28 Mar 2014 7:50 AM

Hi Philip,

In DIXF it is possible to setup a field to use a number sequence, but this will not work within the Opening Balance entity. The reason is that it will try to retrieve a number per line. Also I thought it would look for the number sequence setup in Paramter forms as reference, not the Journal names.

So you have to specify the voucher number manually. You can use the functionaliity to use the temporary voucher numbers (Number sequence setup in Parameters form and tick box on Journal Names). Then at moment of posting the real vouchers are retrieved an updated on the lines.

kind regards,

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 24 Mar 2014 3:13 PM

Hi Philip,

First of all you have the correct entity (Opening Balance). You need to setup which dimensions you want to use in what order in the file type.

Within the string you will provide for the LedgerDimension, you need to specify in one field : Account Number - Business Unit - Cost Center.

Can you indicate which version of AX and DIXF you are using? There was an error in the second beta version of this tool.

One of my collegues had a problem last week. He was using this version as well.

See also this blog: domhk.blogspot.nl/.../data-import-export-framework-financial.html.

Besides this possible code change, you can use this entity standard.

kind regards,

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 24 Mar 2014 5:23 PM

Yes it is possble to import GL opening balance using DIEF..

DIEF by default having Opening balance entity created which you can use

only you need to configure your DIEF module to use it

Configureation required is related to the input file format (csv file or any other..)

you need to specify the financial dimension sequence and its delimeter (in your case it sould be Account Number - Business Unit - Cost Center) as you want.

Please review section

Configure source data format for data from Microsoft Dynamics AX

in following link for more detail

technet.microsoft.com/.../jj225596.aspx

Please verfiy if this information solves your query

Please update with your feedback.

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

Pkarpowich responded on 25 Mar 2014 6:08 AM

Andre - I am using AX 2012 R2 CU 6 but I am not sure how to check the version of the DIEF I am using, can you please advise on where I need to look?

Nitesh - If I am understanding correctly, I need to set up the "-" as a delimiter for the financial dimension value. How/where can I set this up?

Thank you all again for this help.

-Philip

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 25 Mar 2014 7:38 AM

Hi Philip,

You can check if there is a separate model for Data Import/Export Framework in the form Installed models. If there is one in the USR   or FPK layer, it is the beta version, which is working quite OK in general. If you know it was downloaded from Information source, it is also the beta version.

Some people did an partly installation from the CU7 update to only apply this Data Import/Export Framework. This version has an option to copy entitiy data between companies.

If it is the beta, check the code as mentioned in the blog provided in my previous reply.

Concerning the "-" as separator. It is possible to do this setup within the form Source Data Formats. Per format you can do these settings on the Tab 'Application'.

kind regards,

Pkarpowich responded on 28 Mar 2014 7:30 AM

Thank you all. I manage to get this working.

I have one other question though. Is there any way to have the voucher number automatically populate when importing a journal? Or will the user have to know the correct vouch number before they do the import?

thanks again

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 28 Mar 2014 7:50 AM

Hi Philip,

In DIXF it is possible to setup a field to use a number sequence, but this will not work within the Opening Balance entity. The reason is that it will try to retrieve a number per line. Also I thought it would look for the number sequence setup in Paramter forms as reference, not the Journal names.

So you have to specify the voucher number manually. You can use the functionaliity to use the temporary voucher numbers (Number sequence setup in Parameters form and tick box on Journal Names). Then at moment of posting the real vouchers are retrieved an updated on the lines.

kind regards,

lally responded on 28 Mar 2014 10:01 PM

Andre Arnaud de Calavon
You can use the functionaliity to use the temporary voucher numbers (Number sequence setup in Parameters form and tick box on Journal Names). Then at moment of posting the real vouchers are retrieved an updated on the lines.

I did not understand this sentence , Can you explain bit more about this ?

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 29 Mar 2014 1:38 AM

Hi Lally,

In some countries it is required to have the voucher numbers really continuous in order of posting. So when you enter journal 1 with some voucher and journal 2 with some vouchers, you can post journal 2 prior to journal 1. Also when journal 1 is deleted, the vouchers will be used in future when the number sequence is set to continous. To be sure at posting of any journal that there are no gaps in the vouchers used, you can enable the use of temporary vouchers at a journal name. It will take the vouchers from a temporaty number sequence which can be setup in the GL parameters. At posting it will replace the voucher numbers from the sequence as setup in the journal name.

kind regards,

Pkarpowich responded on 31 Mar 2014 2:12 PM

Hi Andre,

It looks like I am pretty close to getting this to work, but I have run into one final problem it seems.

I posed one journal and had the voucher number automatically get assigned 000000006.

I then tried to repeat the process and I am getting an error saying that "Voucher 000000006 is already used as of date 3/24/2014."

It looks like AX is not recognizing the number sequence has already been used and it trying to assign my new journal the same voucher number that it has already used.

Do you know if there is a hot fix or workaround for this?

Thank you again for all of your help.

Pkarpowich responded on 1 Apr 2014 7:13 AM

Andre,

I managed to get this work. Thank you again!