Question Status

Unanswered
AlP asked a question on 22 May 2007 8:36 AM

I'm having my MS Dynamics AX kickoff meeting next week to start the process.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on getting started or any pitfalls to avoid?

craigde responded on 24 May 2007 12:54 PM
Welcome to the Finance forum. If you could provide a little more detail on what you are after we may be able to help. What kind of kick off meeting are you having exactly? Implementation? Pre-sales? Pilot? something else?
AlP responded on 25 May 2007 9:27 AM

We're getting ready for our Implementation kick off. Starting with a blank sheet of paper and spending the next 3-6 months designing they system.  Any helpful hints on dimensions, fiancial statement reporting, what to avoid?

craigde responded on 25 May 2007 3:12 PM

In that case I would suggest you talk to your partner about something called Sure Step. Sure Step provides a complete methodology—including project management discipline and field-tested best practices—plus user-friendly tools that enable you to more successfully deploy, migrate, configure, and upgrade Microsoft Dynamics AX. Think of it like a check list of what to walk through based on real world best practise implementations. Your partner should know about this and the full methodology is available to them on the PartnerSource website.

Alex Chow responded on 6 Jun 2007 3:22 PM

I would recommend asking them for their implementation project plan and how they plan to implement you guys.

The Sure Step methodology is good, but sometimes, experienced partners will have their own way of implementing that is more efficient and have a greater success rate.

If their implementation plan doesn't feel right, then you can ask them to follow the Sure Step methodology or develope a hybrid of it.

Alex Chow responded on 6 Jun 2007 3:25 PM

One more thing I'd like to add is sometimes, if you change implementor's process too much, you'll be creating more headaches than solving it.

The key is communication between you and your partner. Make sure you understand what they're going to do. And make sure they understand what your expectations are. And no, expecting the system "will get up and running" is not detailed enough. 

MikeG responded on 29 Jun 2007 3:04 PM
is that a kiwi bird?
craigde responded on 29 Jun 2007 3:47 PM
Yes it is indeed. I originally come from Wellington, New Zealand and some of my friends call me kiwi so I thought it a fitting avatar.
davidtepoorten responded on 7 Dec 2007 1:53 PM

On the chance that additional kickoffs are upcoming and that you want to enhance the liklihood of a successful meeting outcome - please see here:

http://www.hatandshirt.com

A "HATandSHIRT" that is Microsoft-branded and imprinted with an event-specific design/message would be perfect to provide to kickoff meeting participants; certain to foster camaraderie and a "HATandSHIRT" will be a desired event keepsake.

phyllisbrown responded on 18 Dec 2007 8:16 AM

How did the implementation work out for you?