Question Status

Verified
Melissa Walker asked a question on 11 Feb 2015 7:46 PM

Hey!

We have been using counting journals (Inventory & warehouse mgmt> Journals> Item counting> Counting) for the purpose of stock/ item counts, however I just realised it is not offsetting the movements to a ledger account. 

I checked the set up, however was unable to select a default offset account, as it has been greyed out. (Setup> Journals> Journal names, inventory)

Is it possible to assign an offset account to a counting journal?  If so HOW?

Thanks in advance

Mel

Verified Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 12 Feb 2015 1:16 AM

No it is not possible, it impacts the inventory asset account and then the profit/loss account from the posting setup. It will always post to the offset account of profit/loss so I am not sure why you believe there is no ledger offset - it cannot post a one-sided journal to the inventory asset account only.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Guy Terry responded on 12 Feb 2015 4:45 AM

Hi Melissa,

As Steve says, it will use the accounts defined on the 'Stock' fast tab of the Item's Item group. It is not possible to manually define an offset account on a Count Journal (like you can do on a Movement journal).

The only time I see that a Count adjustment would not post to the ledger is if AX thought the item(s) that were being adjusted have no cost price.

Go to the Count Journal Lines for a posted count journal. Pick a line which has an adjustment (the 'Quantity' column is not blank). Click Inventory -> Transactions. On the Inventory transactions form, click Ledger -> Financial voucher. Here, you see the postings made.

Melissa Walker responded on 17 Feb 2015 12:51 PM

Thank you Guy & Steven, we had actually set up a ledger account just for profit & loss.  So we will have to tweak our reporting based on this.

Mel

Verified Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 12 Feb 2015 1:16 AM

No it is not possible, it impacts the inventory asset account and then the profit/loss account from the posting setup. It will always post to the offset account of profit/loss so I am not sure why you believe there is no ledger offset - it cannot post a one-sided journal to the inventory asset account only.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Guy Terry responded on 12 Feb 2015 4:45 AM

Hi Melissa,

As Steve says, it will use the accounts defined on the 'Stock' fast tab of the Item's Item group. It is not possible to manually define an offset account on a Count Journal (like you can do on a Movement journal).

The only time I see that a Count adjustment would not post to the ledger is if AX thought the item(s) that were being adjusted have no cost price.

Go to the Count Journal Lines for a posted count journal. Pick a line which has an adjustment (the 'Quantity' column is not blank). Click Inventory -> Transactions. On the Inventory transactions form, click Ledger -> Financial voucher. Here, you see the postings made.