Question Status

Verified
FBourdeau asked a question on 26 Apr 2011 4:11 PM

I would like to copy a company in AX 2012. In 2009 it was under, Administration > Common Forms > Company Accounts > Duplicate.

Many thanks!

Verified Answer
vukis responded on 26 Apr 2011 9:51 PM

New_Changed_and_Deprecated_Features_for_Microsoft_Dynamics_AX_2012.pdf

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

It is deprecated. Quote from depreceated features doc:

Reason for deprecation:  The underlying architecture of Microsoft Dynamic

AX 2012 was modified, and these modifications

required the duplicate company feature to be

deprecated.

Replaced by another feature:  No. The feature is no longer available, and there

is no replacement feature.  

Although there is no replacement duplicate

company feature, a company can still be used as

a template to create other companies. By using

the import and export feature, users can create

duplicate reference, setup, and master data by

copying data between two companies. For demo

data, the import and export feature can be used

to replicate a company from one environment in

another environment, or in the same

environment. Users can also make further

changes to create an appropriate demo scenario

in the new company.

Alan Flanders responded on 21 Sep 2011 11:19 AM

Something missing in the answers to this question is "What options should be used in the Import / Export functionality to properly copy a company"?  I have had difficult time trying to figure this out.  Every time I try to copy a company from another environment, I end up messing up my data and need to re-install to get it working agian.  If you don't choose the correct options, then shared table information will be missing or overwritten.  It would be nice if MS would write a white paper outlining how to do this properly.  Perhaps a definition group could be provided with all of the nessasary tables to copy a company.

Henrik Levinson responded on 23 Nov 2011 7:49 AM

There is a suggestion how to do this in the introduction to AX 2012 training materiel chapter 5 page 20 but this is just not working with the new AX 2012 architecture. I would really appreciate that MBS prepared a whitepaper regarding this issue.

Aaron Murch responded on 13 Dec 2012 9:47 AM

There was a blog post released yesterday that explains the process, you can access it via this link: community.dynamics.com/.../copy-company-data-in-ax-2012.aspx

Note - the area of the application referenced in the blog post is located within system administration > Common > Data Export/Import

Alan Flanders responded on 13 Dec 2012 10:20 AM

The blog post gives a general idea of how to do the copy but does not provide specifics on eactly which parameters to choose when exporting and importing (ie. Import system tables). Be very careful using this approach to copying companies and ensure that you perform a database backup first. The process can corrupt your database entirely.

Carsten Glem responded on 10 Apr 2015 7:56 AM

I know this is an old post, but I stubled over it because is 'AGAIN' was searching to see if anybody found a working solution to duplicate a company :)

The fact is that there is not, the reason for this is that in AX2012 there are many tables that have the property savedPerCompany set to No, but at the same time a lot of these tables have a record record for each company (indicated by a new added field holding the company Id, this field is called Name and the extended datatype for it is LedgerName), an example of this is the table 'Ledger', but there are many more tables structured the same way.

So the problem when exporting data from a company in an AX instance and importing it into another company in the same instance, is that you have to import WITHOUT shared tables, but the result of that is that all tables that are structured the way I just mentioned will now be missing a record for the the company you imported into, i.e. the table LEdger should have a record with the companyId of the company you imported into in the Name field, but it doesn't. Now you could of course manually create this record (like I saw in another post that somebody recommended), but there are so many other tables with the same problem and you would have to find a way of doing the same to all those.

Jacob Hjørnet Sørensen responded on 10 Apr 2015 7:57 AM

You can't do this in AX 2012.

Best regards

Jacob Hjoernet Soerensen
Dynamics Ax Developer
Optimate ApS

vukis responded on 10 Apr 2015 8:09 AM

I would try creating additional partition and then copy data from old partition to newly created one. In this case all companies would be copied to new partition. I haven't done partition-> partition copy in practice, but it shouldn't be very hard. There are article called "Copy Data From One Partition To Another Using The Data Import Export" but I would go with Test Data Transfer Tool ;-)

Suggested Answer
Alan Flanders responded on 10 Apr 2015 10:27 AM

Hi,

UXC Eclipse has actually built this exact functionality and are now offering it as an add-in. We have customers with more than 80 subsidiaries with new legal entities being created all the time. These customers need the ability to spin up new companies quickly based on a template configuration. There is a user interface similar to the old company copy in AX 2009 and prior, but of course requires slightly more setup due to the data model changes in AX 2012. Please reach out if you would like to know more.

Cheers,

Alan

nesse responded on 16 Apr 2015 3:14 AM

Is it the same functionality as described here?

community.dynamics.com/.../bringing-copy-company-back-ax-2012.aspx

Verified Answer
vukis responded on 26 Apr 2011 9:51 PM

New_Changed_and_Deprecated_Features_for_Microsoft_Dynamics_AX_2012.pdf

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

It is deprecated. Quote from depreceated features doc:

Reason for deprecation:  The underlying architecture of Microsoft Dynamic

AX 2012 was modified, and these modifications

required the duplicate company feature to be

deprecated.

Replaced by another feature:  No. The feature is no longer available, and there

is no replacement feature.  

Although there is no replacement duplicate

company feature, a company can still be used as

a template to create other companies. By using

the import and export feature, users can create

duplicate reference, setup, and master data by

copying data between two companies. For demo

data, the import and export feature can be used

to replicate a company from one environment in

another environment, or in the same

environment. Users can also make further

changes to create an appropriate demo scenario

in the new company.

Suggested Answer
Alan Flanders responded on 10 Apr 2015 10:27 AM

Hi,

UXC Eclipse has actually built this exact functionality and are now offering it as an add-in. We have customers with more than 80 subsidiaries with new legal entities being created all the time. These customers need the ability to spin up new companies quickly based on a template configuration. There is a user interface similar to the old company copy in AX 2009 and prior, but of course requires slightly more setup due to the data model changes in AX 2012. Please reach out if you would like to know more.

Cheers,

Alan