Question Status

Verified
Tim Schofield asked a question on 25 May 2011 8:20 PM

Is there anything published yet on how to import items into AX 2012? Also customers and vendors.

Thanks

Tim

Steven Weaver responded on 26 May 2011 12:33 AM

Hi Tim

I have not seen anything published yet in the AX2012 readiness portal on partnersource, or anywhere else.

Steve

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Kent Carstens responded on 26 May 2011 5:26 AM

Have you tried it using the three tables like 2009?

Ava Farraday responded on 26 May 2011 11:36 AM

Standard import is gone in DAX 2012.  I believe the office add-in's team is working on something in this regard.

Tim Schofield responded on 26 May 2011 1:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm stuck on how to create products. If I try to import Items (InventTable) with a Product number I get an error message like "Product number can't be accessed". If I try without, it just fails with "Document Generic document could not be created".

Incidentally what was bugging me yesterday was that if the field chooser is open the Publish data options are disabled.

I'm really missing the CSV import option. Who thought it was a good idea to drop that feature????

Rob Osborne responded on 2 Jun 2011 11:45 AM

I feel your pain.  I'm in the same boat.  I'm trying to use the CustCustomerService within the Excel add-in (which is the recommended way of importing data into 2012) to load my customers and the service will not show up in Excel (after being defined in document data sources in AX).  Comes to find out it is a known "bug" with the beta version of the software.  NONE of the primary tables you need to import data into to begin a rollout our currently working.  Doesn't seem like a great plan to roll out beta software without any method to get data into the system.  

Uday-AX responded on 4 Oct 2011 7:14 AM

Any updates on Customer and Vendor upload using Excel Add in.

Adele Bjorklund responded on 7 Oct 2011 1:30 PM

I was able to import Vendors by using the Excel Add-In and importing to the DirPartyTable and the VendTable. If you have any questions about this, I can give you more information...

KJ_AXConsultant responded on 8 Oct 2011 9:33 AM

Any information you can provide about how you were able to import using the Add-in tool would be great.  I have only been able to import the Chart of accounts.  WHen I try to bring in the DirPartyTable and VendTable; I get error Cannot load. Tables must have a valid replacement key or a primary index other than RecID for use in the office add-ins.

Thank you in advance for any help.

KJ

Adele Bjorklund responded on 10 Oct 2011 5:42 AM

I'm not sure that I have much information to give you about that issue as I have not had any problems loading those tables. However, one thing I have noticed is that the add-in works much better if I close and reopen Excel after each use of the add-in.

Otherwise, once you get the tables loaded, it is pretty simple - just enter the new records, make sure that DirPartyTable is set to publish first (in the Publishing Options), and then publish.

Lane Swenka responded on 12 Oct 2011 3:34 PM

For integration and migration, Microsoft is really pushing AIF.  If you have to use Business Connector, you can, but it requires a high degree of knowledge of the database.  And even then, some recIDs will drive you mad.

AIF can create products / product masters, and then release those to a given legal entity as "Items" which can be purchased against.  Similar to the DirParty table for vendors, products are global to the installation, and can only be in InventTable once they are released.

Tarun Agarwal responded on 17 Oct 2011 4:23 AM

I also could upload the vendor master through the tables VendTable and DirPartyTable. But now I am stuck with the vendor addresses. I am not able to upload it. Has anyone uploaded the master with the addresses?

Tom Branca responded on 31 Oct 2011 9:20 AM

Here is a link on how to create a service to import items:  blogs.msdn.com/.../product-item-data-management-services.aspx

Verified Answer
Tim Schofield responded on 31 Oct 2011 12:26 PM

Thanks Thomas, that looks a bit daunting to us 'non-developers'.

This is more up my street:

dynamics-ax.blogspot.com/.../ax-2012-excel-add-in-revisited.html

It says "...there are some issues, and areas to watch out for. Basically, there are some super normalized data sets, like customers, vendors, etc. To help address those needs, Microsoft will be releasing in December a resource kit, that will contain artifacts that help enable the use of the Excel Add-in, for the master data, that has some super normalization aspects to it, that make it a little harder to work with from Excel. The basic concept will still be used that you see above here, that will be enabled with staging tables that the process will still use document services to enable. "

Suggested Answer
Lane Swenka responded on 31 Oct 2011 12:49 PM

We used a hybrid of both AIF and .NET BC to get the jobs done.  There were several tables that AIF just seemed to "skip" when it was creating items and we were able to find these tables running SQL traces when someone performed a create manually in the GUI.

We then used BC to fill in the missing gaps, based on business logic.

Tarun Agarwal responded on 31 Oct 2011 11:12 PM

@Tim

I added few services to 'Document Data sources' but I dont see them in the excel. Please can you help me if there is any other setup also required for it?

Verified Answer
Tim Schofield responded on 31 Oct 2011 12:26 PM

Thanks Thomas, that looks a bit daunting to us 'non-developers'.

This is more up my street:

dynamics-ax.blogspot.com/.../ax-2012-excel-add-in-revisited.html

It says "...there are some issues, and areas to watch out for. Basically, there are some super normalized data sets, like customers, vendors, etc. To help address those needs, Microsoft will be releasing in December a resource kit, that will contain artifacts that help enable the use of the Excel Add-in, for the master data, that has some super normalization aspects to it, that make it a little harder to work with from Excel. The basic concept will still be used that you see above here, that will be enabled with staging tables that the process will still use document services to enable. "

Suggested Answer
Lane Swenka responded on 31 Oct 2011 12:49 PM

We used a hybrid of both AIF and .NET BC to get the jobs done.  There were several tables that AIF just seemed to "skip" when it was creating items and we were able to find these tables running SQL traces when someone performed a create manually in the GUI.

We then used BC to fill in the missing gaps, based on business logic.

Suggested Answer
Steve Wright responded on 12 Jun 2012 8:14 AM

Tim, you will find an example Customer upload/import here on our youtube page Atlas4Dynamics  

Email helpdesk@globesoftware.com.au and request a free trial of Atlas.

Suggested Answer
Teja_Manchiraju responded on 25 Feb 2013 9:33 PM

Hi Tim,

There are mainly three ways to import data in to AX 2012

1) excel add on

2)Data migration Frame work

3) atlas

out of them i have used first two where i felt comfort with second one but remember the data migration frame work released by Microsoft is still beta version so it may have bugs.Till now it worked fine with me.

Suggested Answer
Teja_Manchiraju responded on 25 Feb 2013 9:33 PM

Hi Tim,

There are mainly three ways to import data in to AX 2012

1) excel add on

2)Data migration Frame work

3) atlas

out of them i have used first two where i felt comfort with second one but remember the data migration frame work released by Microsoft is still beta version so it may have bugs.Till now it worked fine with me.