Creating Test Environments from Production Data - Dynamics AX 2009 on SQL Server 2008 R2

Creating Test Environments from Production Data - Dynamics AX 2009 on SQL Server 2008 R2

This question has suggested answer(s)

My primary technical function is that of DBA.

We work with a partner organisation that has a different philosophy to us in creating system test, UAT and traing environments. In that past I have worked with systems where fortunately we have been able to create test data by extracting a relatively small subset of data from our production systems.

Alternatively in the case of SAP - which has been entirely supported in house  - we never refresh our development (very occasionally our qa environments) but generally we have added test data as required, so they remain relatively small compared with production.

I have just received a request from our AX Dynamics partners to refresh all our dev/sit./uat and training environments from production on the grounds that the data in those systems is no longer representative of what is in production.

One of our AX Dynamics databases is now 700GB the other 250GB, so that's effectively 4TB I'm being expected to pull out of a hat. This time next year it could be double.

There has to be a better way of creating development, test and training systems. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge they can share, beit methods they have set up themselves, or tools they have found to assist with such tasks?

Many thanks in advance. John Lancashire (Technical Architect/DBA - Direct Wines).

All Replies
  • Hi John,

You can take backup of PROD and restore to DEV/TES, but do backup system parameters needed of DEV/TEST. You have a very large DB size. You can make DAT file and export/import them, that will be much faster and only that particular data will be moved which is needed in DEV/TEST, not all the data, saving your time and network bandwidth.  

--

Thank you