Etelligent Solutions

Bookmark and Share

This document shows you how to make your own Policy and Procedure guide for Accounting, for Dynamics GP 2010, using the Word Master Document process.  Policies and procedures help to clarify what steps need to be done in what order so that data is input is consistent, and results of sales or purchases can be measured. 

When you start down the path of creating a procedure manual for using with GP 2010, keep the following suggestions in mind:

• layout the manual sections according to the flow of your business.  This will help the users to picture the flow of documents from department to department.
  • use lots of pictures.  Words can be confusing when the language of the business/industry is new to the user.
  • have someone test the procedures as they are being written.  It is easier to clarify the writer’s ideas around the task when everything is still fresh in the writer’s mind.
  • remember that for very important procedures or processes, you can also attach the procedure to the window using the NOTE tool on the lower right corner of a window.

Figure 1 – Don’t forget about attaching notes to windows in Dynamics GP.

To create a Master Document in Word 2010, use these steps.

Exhibit One -  Getting a Master Document Started

1.   Make your life easier, and add the Master Document icons to the Quick Access Toolbar, as I did in #1 in Exhibit One above.  (Note that you find the Master Document menus under the VIEW >> OUTLINE menu.)

2.   Click on the NEW icon to pull up a new Word document.

3.   Click on the Master Doc icon, and create a new Master Word document.

4.   Give it a name, and save it so that you can find it again. 

5.   Hit the drop down arrow by Master Document (#2 in the above exhibit) and you should jump to the circle with a dash through it, which indicates Level 1 in the document.

6.   Click the INSERT button in #3 in the exhibit above to insert the documents that you wish to combine.

7.   In my example, the INSERT command lets me search for my first document, #4 in the exhibit above, called “Paying Credit Cards”.

8.   Click on the OPEN button at the bottom left of the window.

9.   Your file will now pop into the open document as shown in exhibit two, below.

Exhibit Two – First document into Master Document

10.  The document is quite long, so I have the opportunity to split it by using the SPLIT button as shown in exhibit three below.

Exhibit Three -  Button to Split

11.   Place your cursor where you want to split the subdocument, and hit SPLIT.  Two distinct documents are created as shown in exhibit four.

Exhibit Four -  Split to two documents

12.  The new document shows up with a document icon in the left hand corner in Exhibit Five.

Exhibit Five -  Now there are two documents

13.  Using the Outlining tools, headers (Level 1 or 2 or 3, etc.), may be added as in Exhibit Six.

Exhibit Six – Add a heading – Level 1, 2, 3, Etc.

14.   At any point, additional documents can be added by using the INSERT button noted in step 6 above.

Exhibit Seven – New document inserted into Master, between existing documents (Procedure For Paying Contract Workers)

15.   To remove the subdocument, and add the sub to the format of the Master Doc, put your cursor inside the subdocument box, for example, beside the “Procedure for Paying Contract Workers”, and then hit the UNLINK button, as noted below.

Exhibit Eight – UNLINK has a red X beside it

16.  When you click the CLOSE OUTLINE VIEW, then the document shows the format that will appear when the Master Doc is completed.

clip_image001

Exhibit Nine – Close Outline View

17.  This Master Document is now complete, except for the editing.

Some things to remember:

• Set up your outlining levels before you create the Master Doc.
  • If you combine documents with different outlines, the Master Doc outline prevails.
  • To make retrieval faster, put all of the subdocuments into one folder – the foundation for your Master Doc.

Creating your policy and process manual for the ongoing use of the Dynamics ERP system should be a much easier task now.  Assign different subject experts to write the pieces that they do, and combine the pieces into a master document.  Edit and publish.  You are done!

Judy, ERP Consultant for Etelligent Solutions

Email me at judy@esicanada.com with your comments.

Etelligent Solutions - Edmonton, Calgary ERP and CRM