Question Status

Verified
melissary asked a question on 5 Mar 2013 6:40 AM

I have one user who when she logs into CRM (online) and tries to go to the Lead records - gets error message for Insufficient Permissions.  She also cannot create a new record, that button is not available to her.  We have several other users who are using the system just fine and they all have the same security role.  Why would one user not be working?

I've tried changing the role on the user to System admin, logging in as her with that role, then switching back to the correct role (which is something I read in another blog post) but no luck.

Please help!

Jason Lattimer responded on 5 Mar 2013 7:13 AM

Are the other users members of a team(s) that have roles with additional privileges?

When set as a system admin - do the errors persist?

Jason Lattimer
My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

melissary responded on 5 Mar 2013 8:09 AM

The other users have this exact security role.  Is there somewhere else that could be limiting her access?

WHen set as System Admin she has access to everything so no, the errors do not persist.

melissary responded on 5 Mar 2013 8:36 AM

I actually found out now that there are a total of 3 users who are unable to access certain records.  But at least 2 users in that same security role are able to see everything fine.  Any help is much appreciated.

Jason Lattimer responded on 5 Mar 2013 9:30 AM

There isn't any type of "deny" on privileges. Are these custom security roles or out of the box ones? Generally if they are custom roles - ideally you copy an existing role and take away only the items the user doesn't need access to. Creating a role from scratch often times doesn't take into account permissions on related entities that are required to perform actions.

Are the users who have everything working part of a team in CRM? Teams can have additional roles assigned - permissions in CRM are cumulative so a user would get all the permissions assigned  to roles they directly have and all the permissions of all the roles any team they are a member of has.

Jason Lattimer
My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Aaron Richards responded on 12 Mar 2013 8:43 AM

The users that have this security role that do and do not work, do they also have other security roles? I would make sure that for one user that works and one that doesn't, you confirm they both only have this one role.

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities,

Dynamics CRM Support Blog

Aaron Richards
Support Escalation Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM

melissary responded on 12 Mar 2013 1:06 PM

Yes, they are custom.  Not sure why it would all of a sudden stop working on just certain users.  No they are not on a team, and yes, I did confirm they all only have the one security role.  

Is there a way in CRM to track system activity to find out if someone could have made a change that could affect this?  I don't even know if that's possible or not.

thanks for all your help.

Verified Answer
Prashant Shukla responded on 19 Mar 2013 2:12 AM

Hi There,

try copying the role which is working for other users

for e.g. let say the name of security role which is working fine is 'Salesperson' then by selecting this role click on 'more actions and copy this role. name the new role as 'salesperson1'. provide the new role which is salesperson1 to the user who is not able to access leads.

I hope this will work.

CRM-tude

Prashant Shukla

Make sure to Vote as Helpful and  Mark As Answer ,if you get answer of your question.

melissary responded on 20 Mar 2013 9:00 AM

Yes Prashant, this is what I did to fix the issue and it does work.  I was just curious what caused this change all of a sudden and we're hoping this won't happen again.   Do you know what would have caused this?

Prashant Shukla responded on 20 Mar 2013 9:52 AM

Hi Melissary,

Hopefully, it will not happen again, dont worry. Cause of the issue is unknown, but probable reason could be the change in security priviliges after assigning security role to user. it happens very rarely. once every three implementations i have seen this, so, just chill for now, u are all set.

CRM-tude

Prashant Shukla

Make sure to Vote as Helpful and  Mark As Answer ,if you get answer of your question.

Peter Page responded on 19 Apr 2013 8:11 AM

This is also happening to our organisation - a recent update must have caused this. I've got a call out with Microsoft Support and they aren't sure what is causing it. It is definitely a defect

Dinosdudes responded on 6 Feb 2014 5:33 AM

I have had a similar issue exclusively with my company (6 other users). When I logon to my laptop, go to CRM (365) and try to open any Account, Contact or Lead, I get the dreaded 'insufficient permissions'. We use a 3rd party consulting firm who specializes in CRM and they have now fixed it twice. The first time by setting permissions. It happened the next day so they raised my permission level. It has now happened again this morning. I can open Opportunities.

Perhaps there is a 'Pope'  or 'Dictator' level I need to be granted ;)

Waiting for Contractor to send GoToMeeting invite to take another look under the hood. Our company has been using MicDYn CRM for about 6 months or so and I don't feel the product was ready for market. The latest update has been 2 steps back for me due to the extreme new GUI. Someone moved my cheese ;)

Shh responded on 12 Feb 2014 5:47 PM

Do you have multiple form on your lead? and some of the form do not give access right to this user's security role?

I have similar issue on Account entity, just 1 user having issue which the user can see the record from account view but when double click on the record / press New (even the record owner is that user) all I got is "Do not have enough permission" error.

I checked with MS support, they told me based on their experience there are something sot wire backend that when the user try to open up the form anyhow the system link to the form which the user do not have the right to access (even the user do not need to use that form).

I not too sure for the resolution because it is not impact my business and that user is not active MSCRM user.

I would suggest you raise this issue to MS Support.

Verified Answer
Prashant Shukla responded on 19 Mar 2013 2:12 AM

Hi There,

try copying the role which is working for other users

for e.g. let say the name of security role which is working fine is 'Salesperson' then by selecting this role click on 'more actions and copy this role. name the new role as 'salesperson1'. provide the new role which is salesperson1 to the user who is not able to access leads.

I hope this will work.

CRM-tude

Prashant Shukla