Question Status

Verified
redstephen69 asked a question on 18 Sep 2013 9:31 AM

Hi

I have created a new entity called Category and I've created a 1:N relationship with the system entity Account...basically I am wanting to categorise my Account records.

I have added the relationship field to the Account form and it looks correct in that it is a lookup field.

The problem I have is when I open the Account form and navigate to the new field it is appearing as read-only although this has not been set for this field.

I don't know if this is something to do with security roles but no matter what I select it does not seem to "open" the field so I can select something from the list.

Reply
Verified Answer
redstephen69 responded on 20 Sep 2013 12:36 AM

Okay I've managed to resolve it as follows:

1. Create the custom entity (in my case Category). Make sure "Define as an activity entity" is not ticked. Make sure everything under "Communication & Collaboration" is not ticked. Make sure "Areas that display this entity" has "workplace" ticked.

2. Do not create a relationship - this is where I think I went wrong before as I did create the relationship myself.

3. Go to the entity you want the relationship to be with (in my case Account) and create a new field. This field needs to be created as a Lookup field and you select the custom entity (in my case Category) as the "Target record type".

4. Now add this field to the form.

5. Make sure in the users security role they have "Read" and "Append To" privileges set.

Doing it this way I have ended up with an entry on the main Workplace tab so system administrators can add new categories (this is under the "Extensions" menu item) and the user can select the category when in the account entity using the lookup field.

Hope this helps anyone who ends up here!

Reply
Suggested Answer
JessicaEllen responded on 3 Jan 2014 7:59 AM

Thank you so much! I ran into this issue and had done all of the steps EXCEPT to add it to the form. I didn't realize that is what actually created the necessary relationship.

Reply
Tiera Lanier responded on 19 Sep 2013 4:26 PM

If the field is read-only it definitely could be that the security role on the custom field is set to read-only. Try giving the security role "write" access as well if that's not already selected.

Reply
Verified Answer
redstephen69 responded on 20 Sep 2013 12:36 AM

Okay I've managed to resolve it as follows:

1. Create the custom entity (in my case Category). Make sure "Define as an activity entity" is not ticked. Make sure everything under "Communication & Collaboration" is not ticked. Make sure "Areas that display this entity" has "workplace" ticked.

2. Do not create a relationship - this is where I think I went wrong before as I did create the relationship myself.

3. Go to the entity you want the relationship to be with (in my case Account) and create a new field. This field needs to be created as a Lookup field and you select the custom entity (in my case Category) as the "Target record type".

4. Now add this field to the form.

5. Make sure in the users security role they have "Read" and "Append To" privileges set.

Doing it this way I have ended up with an entry on the main Workplace tab so system administrators can add new categories (this is under the "Extensions" menu item) and the user can select the category when in the account entity using the lookup field.

Hope this helps anyone who ends up here!

Reply
Suggested Answer
JessicaEllen responded on 3 Jan 2014 7:59 AM

Thank you so much! I ran into this issue and had done all of the steps EXCEPT to add it to the form. I didn't realize that is what actually created the necessary relationship.

Reply