Question Status

Suggested Answer
Elizabeth.Carling asked a question on 13 Oct 2013 4:25 AM

I understand that Dynamics CRM isn't an accounting application, but I am wondering if anyone has managed to either build some accounting controls into Dynamics CRM. We've been tasked to rollout Orion; at the moment we would like to have CRM cater for our accounting needs as well, rather than purchase and integrate a separate product altogether. Does anyone know if this is even remotely possible or can CRM not do any accounting/finance management at all?

Suggested Answer
Jerry Weinstock responded on 13 Oct 2013 7:54 AM

Elizabeth,

CRM is based on a very powerful relational database schema. And it does include opportunity, quote, order and invoice modules. But to turn this into a stand alone accounting system - general ledger, AP, AR etc. would be a daunting task. Not to mention payroll.

CRM would integrate and does integrate nicely with a variety of back office accounting systems but I wouldn't endorse going down the path of putting the time into creating a full blown accounting system from CRM.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events ?
Follow me on Twitter

Suggested Answer
Andrew Campey responded on 13 Oct 2013 2:38 PM

The short answer is you can if you want however the cost and time involved doing this is substantial. I would recommend you look at Dynamics NAV or Dynamics GP to handle your accounting needs. While it would still require the licencing cost and integration of a second product it might be easier for you and you company going forward in regards to maintenance.

Having said the above:

As Orion has a completely new User Interface i'm not sure when NAV/GP will be brought into line with this change however long term users familiar with one interface would presumably have solid footing in the others.

While I haven't attempted the connection myself, others have suggested that there is some issues with the CRM - NAV/GP connector. This is something Microsoft are aware of and are fixing apparently (so be aware it might be short term pain for long term gain)

Elizabeth.Carling responded on 13 Oct 2013 4:34 AM

Apologies, that was meant to read: "Are there any accounting functions in Dynamics CRM".

Suggested Answer
Jerry Weinstock responded on 13 Oct 2013 7:54 AM

Elizabeth,

CRM is based on a very powerful relational database schema. And it does include opportunity, quote, order and invoice modules. But to turn this into a stand alone accounting system - general ledger, AP, AR etc. would be a daunting task. Not to mention payroll.

CRM would integrate and does integrate nicely with a variety of back office accounting systems but I wouldn't endorse going down the path of putting the time into creating a full blown accounting system from CRM.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events ?
Follow me on Twitter

Karthik Srinivasan responded on 13 Oct 2013 1:36 PM

Agree with Jerry here. Although we talk about CRM transforming into an XRM solution, we gotto be wary about long term implications of building something of that sort. Turning CRM into an accounting tool would not only be a daunting task, but could also impact user adoption and become a recipe for failure. Be wary about what you are trying to implement.

Suggested Answer
Andrew Campey responded on 13 Oct 2013 2:38 PM

The short answer is you can if you want however the cost and time involved doing this is substantial. I would recommend you look at Dynamics NAV or Dynamics GP to handle your accounting needs. While it would still require the licencing cost and integration of a second product it might be easier for you and you company going forward in regards to maintenance.

Having said the above:

As Orion has a completely new User Interface i'm not sure when NAV/GP will be brought into line with this change however long term users familiar with one interface would presumably have solid footing in the others.

While I haven't attempted the connection myself, others have suggested that there is some issues with the CRM - NAV/GP connector. This is something Microsoft are aware of and are fixing apparently (so be aware it might be short term pain for long term gain)

Elizabeth.Carling responded on 14 Oct 2013 8:41 AM

Thank you all for the replies. We've used both GP/Nav in previous rollouts in our firm, but as Andrew mentioned the lack of integration/TCO leaves a lot to be desired. I am wondering if anyone knows of a solution that has at the very least basic accounting functions that we can then pass on over to our accounts department.