Question Status

Verified
Karthik Srinivasan asked a question on 28 Oct 2013 4:15 PM

Dear Team,

A client of ours is currently looking to upgrade CRM 4.0 to CRM 2013. I understand there is no direct upgrade path for CRM 4.0 to CRM 2013. We are yet to access the complexity of the CRM 4.0 implementation. My initial thought is to upgrade CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 using the Upgrade Tool, and then upgrade CRM 2011 to CRM 2013 using the CRM Upgrade tool. Of course, this is easier said than done, and a lot depends on the complexity of CRM 4.0 that has been currently implemented.

Has anyone upgraded a CRM 4.0 system to a CRM 2013 system? If yes, what has been your approach? What are the aspects of upgrade that my team needs to be wary of? What about the potential timeframe to implement such an upgrade?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karth

Verified Answer
PriscillaT responded on 29 Oct 2013 6:33 AM

Hi Karth,

Please don't forget to consider the extra component upgrade as well! I have talked to many clients and whether they are upgrading from CRM 4 or CRM 2011 to the new CRM 2013, many are not aware that other components like Email Router, CRM for Outlook, Reporting Extensions etc also need to be upgraded. Added to that would be the question of whether current hardware/software meet the CRM 2013 requirements? The CRM 2013 Implementation Guide is your friend here. :)

Another more difficult aspect of an upgrade is the question of whether any existing business logic in CRM 4 can be rewritten using new CRM 2013 functionalities like business processes? Obviously it would require understanding of your client's business logics/rules and make a decision on whether to stick with old techniques (like async workflows or plugins) or to take the plunge and go for CRM 2013 options.

Hope that helps.

Verified Answer
Nuno Costa responded on 29 Oct 2013 7:43 AM

Hi Karth,

My suggestion is for you to set up a virtual environment and simulate the process:

1. Patch your CRM 4 to the latest RU (RU21)
  2. Install the trial CRM 2011 version on a separate virtual environment. (using the trial CRM 2011 is also suggested by Microsoft)
    1. Import your backed up CRM 4 database
  3. Test the CRM 2011 environment for broken customizations and other functionality
    1. Install latest RU (RU15) or at least RU14 which is required to import the database into crm 2013
  4. If all is well backup the Organization_MSCRM database
  5. You can uninstall the crm 2011 environment if you don't have enough resources to install the crm 2013 on a separate environment
    1. With crm 2013 installed import the crm 2011 database
  6. test if all is working okay
during the process you want to make sure you time the process and most important you make note of what breaks and calculate the effort and time to fix it. 
Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
Verified Answer
Sneha Padwal responded on 30 Oct 2013 3:53 PM

Hello Karth,

I would recommend you to:

- Update your CRM 4.0 Server with the latest upadte rollup i.e. Update Rollup 21

- Take a backup of your CRM 4.0 database and import it on a CRM 2011 environment first and test. Check if the customizations and scripts you need, function properly with UR 12 as well as UR 15 of CRM 2011

- Once all you customizations are tested on the latest UR of CRM 2011 take a backup of that organization database and import it on the CRM 2013 environment.

All the Best :)

Thanks,

Sneha P

Karthik Srinivasan responded on 30 Oct 2013 6:28 PM

Thanks Priscilla, Nuno and Sneha. You have provided some valuable comments and I'm currently making an inventory of them. :)

Will wait until the end of this week for people to comment, and then close this thread as verified.

Nikolai responded on 22 Apr 2014 3:36 PM

We are planning to upgrade from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2013. We upgraded successfully to CRM 2011, but when trying to upgrade to CRM 2013 we get plugin errors.

We have a few custom created plugins such as "IntActionNow".

LegacyFeatureCheck gives following:

-------------------------------------------------

<VerificationResult>

<Severity>Warning</Severity>

<Component>PluginAssembly</Component>

<ComponentId>23091cac-b900-4cab-abf8-3ef785cda7a9</ComponentId>

<Message>Assembly "IntActionNow" with version '1.0.0.0' references the CRM 4.0 SDK.</Message>

</VerificationResult>

Craig Humphrey responded on 15 Jun 2014 4:00 PM

Hey Karth,

any chance you can report back on how it went?  What kind of issues did you hit and how you resovled them?

We're still running CRM 4.0 here and I want to push us right up to 2013SP1 if I can, but want to know what I'm getting into.  And yes, we have some minor customisations, but also a 3rd Party add-in, which we're hoping to migrate away from in the process...

Thanks

Craig

Verified Answer
PriscillaT responded on 29 Oct 2013 6:33 AM

Hi Karth,

Please don't forget to consider the extra component upgrade as well! I have talked to many clients and whether they are upgrading from CRM 4 or CRM 2011 to the new CRM 2013, many are not aware that other components like Email Router, CRM for Outlook, Reporting Extensions etc also need to be upgraded. Added to that would be the question of whether current hardware/software meet the CRM 2013 requirements? The CRM 2013 Implementation Guide is your friend here. :)

Another more difficult aspect of an upgrade is the question of whether any existing business logic in CRM 4 can be rewritten using new CRM 2013 functionalities like business processes? Obviously it would require understanding of your client's business logics/rules and make a decision on whether to stick with old techniques (like async workflows or plugins) or to take the plunge and go for CRM 2013 options.

Hope that helps.

Verified Answer
Nuno Costa responded on 29 Oct 2013 7:43 AM

Hi Karth,

My suggestion is for you to set up a virtual environment and simulate the process:

1. Patch your CRM 4 to the latest RU (RU21)
  2. Install the trial CRM 2011 version on a separate virtual environment. (using the trial CRM 2011 is also suggested by Microsoft)
    1. Import your backed up CRM 4 database
  3. Test the CRM 2011 environment for broken customizations and other functionality
    1. Install latest RU (RU15) or at least RU14 which is required to import the database into crm 2013
  4. If all is well backup the Organization_MSCRM database
  5. You can uninstall the crm 2011 environment if you don't have enough resources to install the crm 2013 on a separate environment
    1. With crm 2013 installed import the crm 2011 database
  6. test if all is working okay
during the process you want to make sure you time the process and most important you make note of what breaks and calculate the effort and time to fix it. 
Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
Verified Answer
Sneha Padwal responded on 30 Oct 2013 3:53 PM

Hello Karth,

I would recommend you to:

- Update your CRM 4.0 Server with the latest upadte rollup i.e. Update Rollup 21

- Take a backup of your CRM 4.0 database and import it on a CRM 2011 environment first and test. Check if the customizations and scripts you need, function properly with UR 12 as well as UR 15 of CRM 2011

- Once all you customizations are tested on the latest UR of CRM 2011 take a backup of that organization database and import it on the CRM 2013 environment.

All the Best :)

Thanks,

Sneha P