Question Status

Verified
Andrew Ciccarelli asked a question on 12 May 2014 5:07 PM

Hello, what's the proper way to migrate CRM roles to another environment?  I can use the orgservices for the different environments for data retrieval and transfer.  However, there seems to be a lot of associated role permission data and possibly other related data that needs to be migrated over. If I'm transferring native CRM data then which attributes should I migrate from the role table?  Which other tables and attributes should I migrate over to ensure a proper migration?  Or should I use a different approach than using the orgservices?

Andrew Ciccarelli responded on 14 May 2014 2:48 PM

I was able to migrate roles from 2011 to 2013 by simply creating a new UserRoles solution, adding all the roles into this solution, exporting from 2011 and then importing into 2013.  Seems like a reasonable approach and can be implemented quickly.  I'm guessing that this is the most common approach.  Any downside to this approach?

Verified Answer
Ben Hosking responded on 14 May 2014 3:19 PM

User Roles can be added to solutions only if they are in the default business unit (e.g. the top one)

This is the best way to do it.

Records you have created in one CRM organisation will have to be exported, you can do it so they keep the same GUID's.

I think you have to create Teams manually (or export/import them)

You can't transfer shared records or personal views across.

Ben  Hosking

If the my post helped you please mark my post as the suggested answer

Hosk's Dynamic CRM Blog   |  @BenHosk |  Rockstar365

Hosks CRM Dev YouTube Channel

Verified Answer
Ben Hosking responded on 14 May 2014 3:19 PM

User Roles can be added to solutions only if they are in the default business unit (e.g. the top one)

This is the best way to do it.

Records you have created in one CRM organisation will have to be exported, you can do it so they keep the same GUID's.

I think you have to create Teams manually (or export/import them)

You can't transfer shared records or personal views across.

Ben  Hosking

If the my post helped you please mark my post as the suggested answer

Hosk's Dynamic CRM Blog   |  @BenHosk |  Rockstar365

Hosks CRM Dev YouTube Channel