Question Status

Suggested Answer
Thunder asked a question on 23 Jul 2014 1:33 PM

Here is an example of what we are experiencing.

We use SharePoint to store our Contact document records for CRM

When we pull up a contact in CRM, and Open Document, instead of our CRM going straight to our SharePoint site and opening the folder, it wants to create a new record.  And it replaces all the spaces in a naming convention with dashes.      Example:   CRM shows    User, Joe      when we access it in CRM it wants to create  User,-Joe in our SharePoint instead of accessing the record directly.

We can manually remove the dash in SharePoint, and then re-associate the folder so CRM points to the correct location, however we have thousands of records and this would be a nightmare and it we shouldn’t have to do this in the first place.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 2:52 PM

Hi,

This is the expected behaviour of the built in SharePoint integration. Spaces are replaced with dashes and the folder is appended with the GUID of the record to make it unique.

The spaces are replaced with dashes to avoid the 'ugly' %20% in the folder Url

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow

Read my Blog   |  Follow Me on Twitter  |  Rockstar365

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 3:08 PM

Have you created folders in Sharepoint manually? If so, you'll need to create document locations to match the manually created sharepoint folders with the matching url.

Scott Durow

Suggested Answer
S P responded on 23 Jul 2014 4:23 PM

I would create a custom workflow activity to do the renaming and re-associating, then you can do an advanced find on document locations to run the custom workflow activity 250 rows at a time.

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 5:08 PM

Unfortunately if you rename the SharePoint folder you will need to update the Crm document location as well. I recommend sticking with the standard naming convention.

Scott Durow

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 24 Jul 2014 1:11 AM

I see, that is strange. So the document location url on the record doesn't match the SharePoint folder name? Or perhaps it is the root folder or site name that doesn't match?

Scott Durow

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 2:52 PM

Hi,

This is the expected behaviour of the built in SharePoint integration. Spaces are replaced with dashes and the folder is appended with the GUID of the record to make it unique.

The spaces are replaced with dashes to avoid the 'ugly' %20% in the folder Url

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow

Thunder responded on 23 Jul 2014 2:58 PM

Wow seriously?  Is this something we all have to live with or is something in the works to resolve this??  The problem I'm encountering is that my CRM is not able to recognize the associated record in SharePoint, and it creates a new folder with the dashes in the name, but will not populate the newly created folder with the data from the existing folder in SharePoint.

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 3:08 PM

Have you created folders in Sharepoint manually? If so, you'll need to create document locations to match the manually created sharepoint folders with the matching url.

Scott Durow

Suggested Answer
S P responded on 23 Jul 2014 4:23 PM

I would create a custom workflow activity to do the renaming and re-associating, then you can do an advanced find on document locations to run the custom workflow activity 250 rows at a time.

Thunder responded on 23 Jul 2014 4:28 PM

I'm just confused as to why CRM doesn't recognize the SharePoint document locations anymore.  There's got to be an easy fix to re-point these locations?  Or am I just thinking too simple?

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 23 Jul 2014 5:08 PM

Unfortunately if you rename the SharePoint folder you will need to update the Crm document location as well. I recommend sticking with the standard naming convention.

Scott Durow

Thunder responded on 23 Jul 2014 5:26 PM

But I don't want to rename the SharePoint Folder, CRM wants to rename it.  I just want to open my CRM, click on Documents and have it map or route me to where it is located on SharePoint.  It worked before the Spring Update, now it's not finding the locations.

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 24 Jul 2014 1:11 AM

I see, that is strange. So the document location url on the record doesn't match the SharePoint folder name? Or perhaps it is the root folder or site name that doesn't match?

Scott Durow