Question Status

Suggested Answer
kitemundo asked a question on 4 Feb 2015 2:25 AM

The function works for some fields in contacts but not all of them.

Example: I'd like to select a group of contacts and assign the same account to them. 

-I'd select the records

-click on edit

-but I cannot change the field in Company/Account

Any shortcut tip on the best way to do this without going through a lengthy export to excel and re-importing those records.

Advise appreciated.

Rgds,

Suggested Answer
Mithilesh Kumar responded on 4 Feb 2015 2:34 AM

Hi Avantus,

You may not have Append on Account and AppendTo on Contact Privilege.

Please provide the same to your Security Role and try again.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Please mark my post as verified if you found it helpful

Aileen Gusni responded on 4 Feb 2015 3:43 AM

Hi Avantus,

Do you mean here is you select multiple records of Contact entity then click edit? It does mean you perform the Bulk Edit? What if you update only 1 Contact record, is that the field still disable to edit?

kitemundo responded on 5 Feb 2015 2:16 AM

yes bulk edit. the field is company_name(lookup).

it will work on single record edit but if you select 2 or more records, it cannot perform this collective change.

hope you got what I meant

kitemundo responded on 5 Feb 2015 2:27 AM

have checked the security roles and it has full privileges to contact. CEO security role.

however, still cannot do multi-record (bulk edit) edit. The field is Company_Name and its a Lookup field.. could that be the reason?

Regards,

Lawrence

Suggested Answer
Mithilesh Kumar responded on 5 Feb 2015 2:55 AM

Hi Lawrence,

If you can edit for one Record individually and cannot do it with Bulk Edit, then you will be having some JScript Function associated with the On Change event of the field.

Kindly check that.

If you have any Java Script functions that field will be Disabled when you try to Bulk Edit them.

For more information you may like to visit this

rajeevpentyala.wordpress.com/.../disabled-fields-in-bulk-edit-form-crm-2011

Hope that helps

Thanks

Suggested Answer
Aileen Gusni responded on 5 Feb 2015 3:27 AM

Avantus,

Yes, if you can perform edit in single record but not in multiple lookup, it is definitely not a Security Role Problem.

What about other lookup field? like price list, owner or your custom entity lookup.

One more question, are you having jquery library reference function in your Contact form?

Because it might cause a conflict there, I hope these similar situation in the links here can help you:

community.dynamics.com/.../dynamics-crm-2013-can-39-t-view-lookup-options-on-bulk-edit.aspx

community.dynamics.com/.../147002.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadcrmsupport/archive/2014/05/08/dynamics-crm-parent-account-lookup-field-is-greyish-in-bulk-edit.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

kitemundo responded on 8 Feb 2015 9:11 PM

Thanks folks for all the responses.

I've nailed down a similar problem at this link :-

http://links.dynamicscrmteam.com/2011/08/08/disabled-fields-in-bulk-edit-form-–-crm-2011/

did as instructed but got lost right at when I'm to import back the solution . the dialog box asked for a ZIP file instead.... I used a std notepad editor to edit the "customization.xml" file. 

Would be great if there is a better, GUI-based way of making these changes..

Thanks!

In CRM, We can edit multiple records (i.e., Bulk Edit) at a time. To do bulk edits we have to follow below steps

• Select multiple records from the view (or) Associated view
  • Click on “Edit” button on the Ribbon

- Once you get the Bulk Edit CRM Form, you would notice couple of fields on the form is in disabled state and you wonder why?

Reason:-

• Fields with “onchange” event will be in disabled state on Bulk Edit Form.
  • This is because for multiple records, CRM won’t be able to trigger the OnChange event and take the defined action in OnChange Jscript
  • In simple words, By Default Form and field events are disabled for the bulk edit form.

To enable a field (event) in Bulk Edit Form:-

We can enable the field onchange event by changing entity customization

Steps:-

• Export the entity as a solution
  • Open “customizations.xml” file using visual studio
  • Navigate to <events> node of the field and set “BehaviorInBulkEditForm” to “Enabled”
  • Import back the solution (See below for the node)
  • <events><eventname=“onchange” application=“false” active=“false” attribute=“{your_attributename}” BehaviorInBulkEditForm=“Enabled“>
  • Refer this useful link (KB) on Bulk Edithttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/949941

- See more at: http://links.dynamicscrmteam.com/2011/08/08/disabled-fields-in-bulk-edit-form-%E2%80%93-crm-2011/#sthash.WwGtLA64.dpuf

Aileen Gusni responded on 8 Feb 2015 9:59 PM

Hi Kitemundo,

Yes, it this link I provided before:

blogs.msdn.com/.../dynamics-crm-parent-account-lookup-field-is-greyish-in-bulk-edit.aspx

Also explaining about the same thing.

Yes, we have to modify ourselves, hopefully have setting in another better UI.

Thank you.

Suggested Answer
kitemundo responded on 13 Feb 2015 12:36 AM

Issue fixed folks as described in this blog entry.

blogs.msdn.com/.../dynamics-crm-parent-account-lookup-field-is-greyish-in-bulk-edit.aspx

With CRM2011, importing customizations is handled via "solutions"

Happy CRMing.

Thanks all for the responses.

Mithilesh Kumar responded on 13 Feb 2015 1:11 AM

Hi kitemundo,

The link is broken. Please paste a new one.

Thanks

Suggested Answer
Mithilesh Kumar responded on 4 Feb 2015 2:34 AM

Hi Avantus,

You may not have Append on Account and AppendTo on Contact Privilege.

Please provide the same to your Security Role and try again.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Please mark my post as verified if you found it helpful

Suggested Answer
Mithilesh Kumar responded on 5 Feb 2015 2:55 AM

Hi Lawrence,

If you can edit for one Record individually and cannot do it with Bulk Edit, then you will be having some JScript Function associated with the On Change event of the field.

Kindly check that.

If you have any Java Script functions that field will be Disabled when you try to Bulk Edit them.

For more information you may like to visit this

rajeevpentyala.wordpress.com/.../disabled-fields-in-bulk-edit-form-crm-2011

Hope that helps

Thanks

Suggested Answer
Aileen Gusni responded on 5 Feb 2015 3:27 AM

Avantus,

Yes, if you can perform edit in single record but not in multiple lookup, it is definitely not a Security Role Problem.

What about other lookup field? like price list, owner or your custom entity lookup.

One more question, are you having jquery library reference function in your Contact form?

Because it might cause a conflict there, I hope these similar situation in the links here can help you:

community.dynamics.com/.../dynamics-crm-2013-can-39-t-view-lookup-options-on-bulk-edit.aspx

community.dynamics.com/.../147002.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadcrmsupport/archive/2014/05/08/dynamics-crm-parent-account-lookup-field-is-greyish-in-bulk-edit.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Suggested Answer
kitemundo responded on 13 Feb 2015 12:36 AM

Issue fixed folks as described in this blog entry.

With CRM2011, importing customizations is handled via "solutions"

Happy CRMing.

Thanks all for the responses.