Question Status

Verified
William_Jones asked a question on 12 Feb 2015 2:51 PM

Hey guys, new to Dynamics and trying to validate a plan before I start work on our internal PoC environment. 

I work for a company in Bermuda, and our sales process is a little different than the one that comes out of the box in Dynamics. We handle reselling for various products, along with the services to implement the products. (Phones, Servers, Workstations, etc..) The information that our sales and accounting teams need to capture around any given product are these:

1) US List price for the item (Standard per product)

2) Negotiated Cost (The cost for us that is negotiated with the US based vendor based on volume or other factors)

3) Margin (a percentage value)

So as an example, a sales guy works with a client on an opportunity to sell widgets. As they build out their opportunity by adding Product List items, the US List Price would be automatically populated from the system. Then the Sales person would enter the Negotiated Cost that they had secured with the vendor, then enter the Margin that they think appropriate for that Widget. Based off of that, the system would calculate the loaded price we would charge the customer, and populate a printable quote that we could send to the customer. 

To put some numbers into the example, Widget A has a US List price of $100. We negotiate with the manufacturer to purchase Widget A for $40. We know that shipping to Bermuda costs %25 of the cost, so an additional $10 is added to the cost. Finally, the salesman knows that he wants to make a margin of %20 on the item, so $50 * 1.20 is $60 as the final loaded cost that we present to the customer. 

That process is a little different than the out of the box workflow in Dynamics 2015. My questions are:

1) Is it feasible to rework the Sales quote process to follow this model? 

2) Could I eventually use the Dynamics GP connector to bring in the US List price for the items from GP? 

3) Will I run into any issues removing items from the Product entity that aren't necessary, or is it best practice to leave them in place and deactivated? 

Verified Answer
Brian Begley responded on 12 Feb 2015 3:30 PM

1 - as to feasibility you would have to customize the opportunity product and quote product forms  and perhaps build a business rule or plug in to perform the calculations but IT should be feasible.

2 - Using the GP Connector causes control of the product catalog to pass to GP so prices etc would be managed by the GP product catalog. So the list price would pass from GP to CRM

3 - If you delete products that are associated with an opportunity quote or order that will cause issues with those records. I would only deactivate products that you no longer sell.

Brian Begley
Founder/CEO
enCloud9  Social CRM Consultants LLC
bbegley@encloud9.com
Visit Our Blog / Follow us on Twitter

Verified Answer
Brian Begley responded on 12 Feb 2015 3:30 PM

1 - as to feasibility you would have to customize the opportunity product and quote product forms  and perhaps build a business rule or plug in to perform the calculations but IT should be feasible.

2 - Using the GP Connector causes control of the product catalog to pass to GP so prices etc would be managed by the GP product catalog. So the list price would pass from GP to CRM

3 - If you delete products that are associated with an opportunity quote or order that will cause issues with those records. I would only deactivate products that you no longer sell.

Brian Begley
Founder/CEO
enCloud9  Social CRM Consultants LLC
bbegley@encloud9.com
Visit Our Blog / Follow us on Twitter