Question Status

Verified
TNE asked a question on 25 Mar 2015 4:26 AM

Hi,

I noticed that when a contact changes jobs (parentcustomerid field changes), at least closed appointments connected to that contact show in both new and old accounts' "Closed activities"-section. I'd like to change that, but I'm not sure how, and I'm on pretty thin ice when fiddling with relations and cascading.

In non-technical terms: I have a contact with a closed appointment. Contact is an appointment participant, and the customer she is working for is in the "Regarding"-field. When the contact's employer changes, the old appointments show in contact's closed activities (desirable), in old employer's closed activities (desirable), and new employer's closed activitities (non-desirable). We're on CRM 2011.

I have changed both Contact_Appointments and  Account_Appointments relations to "Cascade none" for all occasions, but this didn't change the behavior. Can someone tip me to a better solution?

best regards,
Teppo

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 25 Mar 2015 5:16 AM

Hi,

This is a common scenario - and the solution is to create a dialog that will 'move a contact' - but infact it would de-activate the old contact and then create a copy of the contact in the new company. It would then create a connection between the two contacts to show that they are the same person.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow

Read my Blog   |  Follow Me on Twitter  |  Rockstar365

TNE responded on 27 Mar 2015 4:02 AM

Hi Scott,

Thank you! Never in a million years would I have thought of that approach.

Is there really no way to stop appointments etc. from duplicating their connections to the new parent customer?

best regards,

Teppo

Verified Answer
Scott Durow responded on 27 Mar 2015 6:54 AM

If you think about it, the activities showing in the new parent customer is logical from a database point of view since CRM is just showing the activities that are related to it's contacts. When you move a contact, there is no back link to the old account which is why it's best to copy the contact and deactivate the old one.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow

Verified Answer
Scott Durow responded on 27 Mar 2015 6:54 AM

If you think about it, the activities showing in the new parent customer is logical from a database point of view since CRM is just showing the activities that are related to it's contacts. When you move a contact, there is no back link to the old account which is why it's best to copy the contact and deactivate the old one.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow

Suggested Answer
Scott Durow responded on 25 Mar 2015 5:16 AM

Hi,

This is a common scenario - and the solution is to create a dialog that will 'move a contact' - but infact it would de-activate the old contact and then create a copy of the contact in the new company. It would then create a connection between the two contacts to show that they are the same person.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow