Question Status

Unanswered
Stephen Duncalf asked a question on 6 Apr 2010 9:12 PM

Hi All,

I've got a requirement that will either end up customizing the Case entity to add alot of custom attributes (not my preferred option as it's only for one business unit), or I could create a specific custom entity to store these business unit specific attributes in, and specifiy the relationship between the Case and Custome Entity (1:1?)

There will be a 1:1 relationship between the case and this custom entity, which doesn't seem to be supported within CRM 4.0, but I should be able to enforce this via a plug-in if required.

So, when the user creates, updates the case. I need to display the custom entity within an IFrame so that it can be directly editable, some of the attributes will have to hidden on the Custom entity form depending upon the Subject type selected for the case. Should be able to perform this using JavaScript once the IFrame has loaded.

Can this be done? If so how.

Andrius Karazinas responded on 4 Jun 2010 5:09 AM
Hi try this http://mscrminscotland.blogspot.com/2010/02/showing-custom-entity-in-iframe.html
ogbit responded on 8 Jul 2013 6:37 AM

Hi Stephen,

How this approach work for you?  Can you share any issues or suggestions?

thanks

Stephen Duncalf responded on 8 Jul 2013 1:45 PM

We had a CRM 4.0 environment, where this particular functionality was required. Following the example within the blog it worked fine in a POC we produced for the business. We had to include a lot of other additional JavaScript to hide other page content that was a pain to find the actual contact id/name, but once you'd found it you're ok.

In the end we didn't implement this, as the business requirements changed (no shock there!).

Sorry I can't be much more help, but it was some time ago.

ogbit responded on 8 Jul 2013 3:15 PM

I can see the need for the JS. Thanks for the additional information that helps.

ogbit responded on 14 Aug 2013 12:17 PM

When it comes to 1:1 associations, CRM works better by just adding the custom fields to the entity instead of creating a whole new entity (or extension).  The effort to enforce the 1:1 constraint and navigation issues may be too costly for the project.   I hope this provides some help.

If you look at the database level, all the new fields will be added to the EntityExtensionBase table automatically.