Question Status

Suggested Answer
Ahmed Zaveri asked a question on 6 Feb 2012 11:35 PM

I have an issue with security roles.

I have a security role which contains permission for creating tasks but when the role is assigned to the user and user tries to open the task window insufficient permission error is shown. When i assign a higher role with all the permissions the user obviuosly is now allowed to create task.

Now once the user has opened the window with the higher role, i remove the higher role and second time when the user tries to open the task window with the role provided earlier it works fine.

Suggested Answer
Gus Gonzalez responded on 7 Feb 2012 6:28 AM

Ahmed,

Check the Append and Append to permissions that are present on the first (most restrictive) role. If I have to guess, I would assume that it's missing Append and Append to at the User Entity. A user is appended when you click on creating a new record (owned by user or team) so if you don't have the right you won't be able to create the record (task in this case). Once the task is created, the user has been appended and they will be able to read the record just fine.

You can test this before making changes to the security role. Have the users open an existing task and ask if they can append a new user as the owner of the task. If so, then focus on troubleshooting the security permissions for any entity that has a lookup on the task entity. If not, then give them the rights to append and append to at the User Entity level and that should do the trick.

Good Luck!

Suggested Answer
Gus Gonzalez responded on 7 Feb 2012 6:28 AM

Ahmed,

Check the Append and Append to permissions that are present on the first (most restrictive) role. If I have to guess, I would assume that it's missing Append and Append to at the User Entity. A user is appended when you click on creating a new record (owned by user or team) so if you don't have the right you won't be able to create the record (task in this case). Once the task is created, the user has been appended and they will be able to read the record just fine.

You can test this before making changes to the security role. Have the users open an existing task and ask if they can append a new user as the owner of the task. If so, then focus on troubleshooting the security permissions for any entity that has a lookup on the task entity. If not, then give them the rights to append and append to at the User Entity level and that should do the trick.

Good Luck!

Ahmed Zaveri responded on 7 Feb 2012 9:47 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The most restrictive role already contains permission for append and append to on the user entity on organization level. Furthermore, a task can be related to account and opportunity entity as per our business process, so i have given permissions on account and opportunity for append and appendTo on organization level. It is something to do with Hierarchy of business units.

Ahmed Zaveri responded on 7 Feb 2012 9:58 PM

Dear Gus,

I have also noticied that user with this role is unable to create other activities until once thier windows are opened with a higher role and even not able to create opportunities.

Ahmed Zaveri responded on 7 Feb 2012 10:34 PM

Hi Gus,

The problem is solved, i have given write permission on user level to user entity UI settings. Thanks for your help