Dynamics CRM Support Blog
Problems configuring the CRM Outlook client? Use the wizard!
CRM Resource Center
FAQ About Technical SupportOnline | On-Premise
FAQ About Billing
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Developer Center and SDK
I can (just about) create a view of all the Accounts I want to send an email to.
1) If I do that using Quick Campaign, does the email go to just the Primary Contact for the Accounts or ALL the contacts for the Accounts?
2) If I want it to get to all the Contacts for each account, do I have to create a search which gives the individual contacts I want to email?
3) If I want to send the email personalised, does that mean I need to do an Email mailmerge with a search view I have created?
This particular case is to go to a set of companies we do business with and inform all their people that we have a new address. I can see there are four possibilities:
a) Dear All (goes to just the Primary Contact in each Account)
b) Dear Alice (Dear Bob, Dear Charlie etc) (personalised but to just the Primary Contacts)
c) Dear All (goes to all the Contacts for all the Accounts)
d) Dear Alice, Bob, Charlie etc (personalised to all the Contacts for each of the Accounts)
And lastly, in the multiple cases, how many times does the personalised email show up in the Account History? Eg if I look at company Alpha (for which Alice, Bob and Charlie all are listed as Contacts) do I see 3 emails or just one?
I will take a stab at answering your questions.
1) If you do a Quick Campaign to a list of Accounts, it will send it to the Email address on the Account, NOT to the Primary Contact.
2) Yes, you will want to do an Advanced Find search for Contacts. In doing so, you can use fields from the Account as a criteria. For example, if you want to send to all Customer contacts, you would create an Advanced Find and search for all Contacts where the Parent Account (often called Parent Customer) Relationship Type = Customer.
3) If you want to personalise the Email, (Dear First name), you would do this with the Email Template (Settings-->Templates-->Email tempaltes). Here is a blog with instructions on creating an Email template.
You will want to create a Contact template (not a global template) to merge with the Contact fields.
Lastly, each personalised Email will show up in the Contact history once. However, since the history rolls up to the Account, you will see multiple EMails on the Account history (one for each contact sent).
Cheers and good luck!
Gretchen OpferkewPowerObjects, Director of Education
Increase your CRM skills. Find out about upcoming CRM Events.
Since you mentioned in a previous post that you are on 4.0, then you should know that in 4.0 you cannot send templates via Quick Campaign. So, you cannot personalise an Email from a Quick Campaign in that version. In order to send a personalised Email, you will have to do a search and then use the "Send Direct Email" button on the toolbar, and select a template to send to the list of people.
I recommend testing this thoroughly on a short list of test contacts, as once you select a template and click Send--CRM sends it to the list of contacts without any further confirmation.
Other Microsoft Sites
I'm a Customer
I'm a Partner
Use the official Twitter tags:
#MSDYNCOMM | #CONV13