Question Status

Suggested Answer
David @ Skinny Software asked a question on 8 Sep 2012 10:53 PM

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH "CRM 2011 doesn't support Windows Server 2012".

I am interested in knowing if somebody has a workaround for this issue. I have seen Dynamics CRM 2011 running on Windows Server 2012. I would like to get it up and running - despite it's UNOFFICIAL non-support of Windows Server 2012.

Wondering if anybody can help me figure out why...

When I run the CRM Setup program it always says that .NET 4 isn't installed. Then, of course, I click the "Install" button, it runs the installer, which (in the background) determines that .NET 4 or higher is already installed, then Setup tells me that .NET 4 has been installed, then I click "Next" and the Setup window closes... and nothing happens.

The  "Microsoft Dynamics CRM" and "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Setup" processes are still running, but remain idle.

This is what is written in the setup log (after the .NET 4 install):

22:34:03|   Info| Installation of Microsoft .NET Framework has completed. Exit code: 0. Result: Version installed: 4.0.30319.01
22:34:03|   Info| Resuming automatic updates
22:34:03|   Info| Uninitializing COM.
22:34:03|   Info| Uninitialized COM.
22:34:05|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging ended 9/8/2012 10:34:05 PM ===
22:34:06|   Info| Could not retrieve current server roles from registry.  'roles' registry key does not exist
22:34:06|   Info| Could not retrieve current server roles from registry.  'roles' registry key does not exist
22:34:06|   Info| === Managed setup logging started: 9/8/2012 10:34:06 PM ===
22:34:06|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Initialize
22:34:06|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
22:34:06|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
22:34:07|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Initialize
22:34:07|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Run
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; CollectAction; 00:00:00.0167061
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; CollectAction; 00:00:00
22:34:07|Verbose| Installing version component: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\MSCRM_{006E29F6-1C19-4AB9-91B8-239BFFBBAD4B}\Server\bin\crmverserver.dll
22:34:07|Verbose| Installing version: 5.0.9690.1992
22:34:07|Verbose| Installing lcid: 1033
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; CollectAction; 00:00:00.0144851
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; CollectAction; 00:00:00.0628456
22:34:07|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
22:34:07|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; ValidateAction; 00:00:00
22:34:07|   Info| CrmAction execution time; ValidateAction; 00:00:00
22:34:07|   Info| Invoking C:\Windows\system32\ServerManagerCmd.exe -query "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\ServerManagerQuery.xml" -logPath "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\ServerManagerCmd.log"

Here is what is in the Event Viewer (1 of 2):

The description for Event ID 17204 from source MSCRMTracing cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Error in LoadSiteWideSettings [LocatorService.Instance], Stack Trace :    at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTraceSettings.Load(String traceDirectory)
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.get_RefreshTrace()
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.Write(Guid orgId, TraceCategory traceCategory, TraceLevel traceLevel, Int32 skipFrames, String format, Object[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.TraceFormat(Guid orgId, TraceCategory traceCategory, TraceLevel traceLevel, String format, Object[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorCache..ctor(LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.ServerLocatorService..ctor(LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService..ctor(ILocatorService service, LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService..cctor()
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService.get_Instance()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationInfo..ctor(IDictionary data)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.InternalMain(String[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Main(String[] args)
Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\MSCRM_{006E29F6-1C19-4AB9-91B8-239BFFBBAD4B}\

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Here is what is in the Event Viewer (2 of 2):

The description for Event ID 17204 from source MSCRMTracing cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Error in LoadDeploymentSettings [LocatorService.Instance], Stack Trace :    at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTraceSettings.Load(String traceDirectory)
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.get_RefreshTrace()
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.Write(Guid orgId, TraceCategory traceCategory, TraceLevel traceLevel, Int32 skipFrames, String format, Object[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.CrmTrace.TraceFormat(Guid orgId, TraceCategory traceCategory, TraceLevel traceLevel, String format, Object[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorCache..ctor(LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.ServerLocatorService..ctor(LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService..ctor(ILocatorService service, LocatorServiceContext locatorServiceContext)
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService..cctor()
   at Microsoft.Crm.LocatorService.get_Instance()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationInfo..ctor(IDictionary data)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.InternalMain(String[] args)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServerSetup.Main(String[] args)
Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\MSCRM_{006E29F6-1C19-4AB9-91B8-239BFFBBAD4B}\

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Jukka Niiranen responded on 9 Sep 2012 3:53 AM

I was experiencing the same issue with the .NET 4 installation prompt on my Windows Server 2012 RTM environment, until I applied this hack from Daniel Cai's blog: danielcai.blogspot.ca/.../install-crm-2011-on-windows-server-8.html

Once I replaced the svrmgrnc.dll with the old version from Windows Server 2008 R2, the CRM server installation wizard still claimed that .NET 4 was not installed, but after clicking Next, the window did close but now another popup window was presented to allow me to continue with the installation process.

Unfortunately, even though I got past this error, at the end of the installation I get a prompt saying "Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ConfigureCrmAppplicationPoolAccountAction failed. IIS version not supported: 8.0". If anyone knows a trick around this IIS8 error, do please share your findings.

Jukka Niiranen

- - - 

Blog: Surviving CRM - Twitter: @jukkan

David @ Skinny Software responded on 10 Sep 2012 5:43 AM

Hmmm. Well thanks for your response. That's really unfortunate. Hopefully we won't have to wait long before we can make the install happen :) or for somebody to get around IIS 8 :p

Udayan_R responded on 14 Sep 2012 8:20 AM

If you run the CRM 2011 setup using Local Administrator account  you won't get above error, but you cannot move forward, when you get this setup option to select AD OU, Local Administrator doesn't have Active directory permission.

If you run as Domain Administrator or Domain User you will get the above error, I need to try hack from Daniel Cai's blog, lets see how it goes

Aaron Richards responded on 17 Sep 2012 12:16 PM

Currently, the testing for supportability with Windows Server 2012 has not completed. This is also not listed on the compatibility article below. During this testing, they may find that something needs to be changed, corrected, or a particular process needs to be done before installing this on Windows Server 2012. Once the testing is complete, the article below will be updated with supportability as well as a link to an individual article if special information is needed.

support.microsoft.com/.../2669061

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities,

Dynamics CRM Support Blog

Aaron Richards
Sr. Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Daniel Cai responded on 22 Sep 2012 3:04 PM

Jukka, not sure if you are still pursuing this. In case you do, the trick is to first install IIS component, and also make sure to choose the most IIS components (particularly the various authenciations, and ASP.NET ones). I had IIS8 installed first, so I didn't run into any problem, which is the reason that the problem you mentioned was skipped in my blog post.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com/ | Data Integration made easy with SSIS Integration Toolkit

Jukka Niiranen responded on 22 Sep 2012 4:10 PM

Daniel, I did try the installation on a fresh new WS2012 VM and I had enabled all the IIS and Application Server components (apart from Distributed Transactions), but the result was still the same. I think it's not an issue related to the Windows Features missing but rather some variable like locale that is causing the issue for some users, while others are able to install CRM by using the workaround from your blog. In a similar fashion, I've been unable to connect Outlook 2013 to any CRM organization on a Windows 8 machine, even though many others are reporting it's working just fine and even the KB articles suggest it would be supported. We'll probably just need to wait for the next Update Rollup to iron out the issues related to configuration differences that are causing these problems for some of the users.

Jukka Niiranen

- - - 

Blog: Surviving CRM - Twitter: @jukkan

Ben Hosking responded on 12 Oct 2012 9:58 AM

I managed to install CRM 2011 by using the hacks on Daniels blog above and specifying the CRM services as Network service. I appreciate this isn't the most secure way but all the other methods I tried I got IIS 8 not supported error.

I plan to change this by either applying a rollup or uninstalling/reinstalling and specifying an existing CRM setup.

After I did this it was up and running

Ian Luxton responded on 24 Oct 2012 2:01 PM

I agree with Ben. Failed to register the ASP.NET with the domain user based service accounts. After having no joy what-so-ever, the first attempt using the NetworkService account for the CRM Services and I was back on track with Daniel's blog.

As Aaron says "Testing is not yet complete". There seems to be a number of fundamental incompatibilities with CRM2011 on Server 2012. The CRM app and installer needs some work :-)

Eric W. Cahoon responded on 28 Oct 2012 2:09 PM

Jukka,

I, much like Ben Hosking, was able to only install CRM 2011 on Windows Server 2012 by setting all of the CRM services to use the NetworkService account.  Any time I tried to use unique AD accounts, I would get the "IIS version not supported: 8.0" error.  Have you tried installing CRM and setting the services to use NetworkService?

Eric W. Cahoon

Twitter:  twitter.com/mscrmking

Mike McG responded on 18 Dec 2012 12:41 AM

When using AD accounts for the services, my install failed with the IIS8 error mentioned above.  The installer did create the CRM website, but it didn't create the CRM App Pools.  I un-installed and then re-installed using NetworkService instead of AD accounts to get past the "IIS8" error.  When I have time, I'll try manually re-configuring the services with the AD accounts and see if it still works.

For now, happy I got it installed and running on Windows 2012/SQL 2012 in my test environment.  And thanks to Daniel for his tips.

ajwittenbrink responded on 27 Feb 2013 11:54 AM

This is unsupported, but I altered the registry to get around the  IIS version not supported: 8.0 when using domain accounts and server 2012.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters

and changed "MajorVersion" to 7 and "MinorVersion" to 5

sanjayhk responded on 14 Mar 2013 10:16 AM

Altering the registry work to encounter IIS 8. But I am getting following error, Setup is not getting completed successfully. Please advise as necessary.

Gabriel Serra responded on 25 Jun 2014 6:59 PM

I am facing the initial issue "The  "Microsoft Dynamics CRM and "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Setup processes are still running, but remain idle." after install .net 4.03 and click next.

I am not keen of use the suggested workarround danielcai.blogspot.ca/.../install-crm-2011-on-windows-server-8.html as it is not really supportable/recommended and it is a production environment.

Does any one found a proper solution for this issue ?

Kind Regards

Suggested Answer
Aaron Richards responded on 23 Jul 2014 11:08 AM

Windows Server 2012 is supported now as of Update Rollup 13, but will not be supported for Windows Server 2012 R2:

Aaron Richards
Sr. Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Suggested Answer
Aaron Richards responded on 23 Jul 2014 11:08 AM

Windows Server 2012 is supported now as of Update Rollup 13, but will not be supported for Windows Server 2012 R2:

Aaron Richards
Sr. Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM