Welcome to the Dynamics GP Support and Services Blog. This new blog is designed to provide you the insights, knowledge and challenges that our support engineers tackle every day.
The payroll year-end update is a key component to the year-end process. It is very important to ensure the payroll year-end install and upgrade goes as smooth as possible. Review the install and upgrade tips below to ensure your payroll year-end update installation is successful!
Install and Upgrade Overview
1. The 2012 payroll year-end release is only available for Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010. The 2012 year-end update will be automatically included in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 once released.
2. The Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 release is an EXE file. If you would like to push the update out to client workstations, the MSP for Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 can be downloaded from the link below:
3. The Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 release is an MSP file.
4. All MSP and EXE files are cumulative. All prior service packs, hotfixes, compliance, and year-end updates are included in the most recent release. For example, Service Pack 3 is included in the most recent update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010.
5. The update must be installed at all servers and workstations that have a Microsoft Dynamics GP installation otherwise a version error will occur when launching Microsoft Dynamics GP.
Pre-Install and Upgrade Tips
1. Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases prior to installing the year-end update.
2. Export all modified reports and forms to package files. (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance).
3. Make a backup copy of the modified reports and forms .DIC files. Refer to the Dynamics.set file for the path to the modified .DIC files.
4. Configure a test environment to test the upgrade prior to installing in the live environment. **It is highly recommended to first test the year-end update in a test environment.**
Install and Upgrade Tips1. The user running the MSP or EXE update must have local admin rights on the workstation or server operating system.
2. When installing the update at the first machine, there are two components to the installation:a. Upgrade the application installb. Upgrade DYNAMICS and all company databases and all modified reports and forms in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities
3. Typically, the update is installed at the SQL Server first to upgrade the databases in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities. If a Microsoft Dynamics GP installation does not exist at the SQL Server, the databases can be updated from the first client workstation or Terminal Server.
4. Verify the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation used to upgrade the databases includes all additional product installations. For example, if Project Accounting is used, verify that Project Accounting is installed at the machine where running Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities for the database upgrade.
5. If the installation of the MSP or EXE fails, refer to the Windows Installer Log or Windows Event Viewer for more information. Refer to KB 2545723 for steps to create a Windows Installer Log.
KB 2545723 - How to Capture a Windows Installer Log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545723
6. Open the Windows Installer Log in a text editor and search for “Return Value 3” to find the failure location in the log.
7. If the installation of the MSP or EXE fails, try installing via the command line. Refer to KB 912997 #13 for steps.
KB 912997 - Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows Install MSP files for Microsoft Dynamics GPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/912997
8. Enable a Dexsql.log prior to upgrading the databases in Utilities. If an error occurs during the database upgrade, the Dexsql.log can be used to troubleshoot the issue. Refer to KB 850996 for steps.
KB 850996 - How to Enable a Dexsql.loghttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/850996
9. If the database upgrade fails, do not restore the databases as all troubleshooting can take place at the point of failure.
10. If a red X appears next to the company name in the Update Company window, the table conversion failed. Refer to the Support Information Section of the Upgrade Hot Topic for troubleshooting steps.
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Upgrade Hot Topichttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/hottopic_mdgp2010_update.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/hottopic_mdgp2010_update.htm?printpage=false
Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 Upgrade Hot Topichttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/Hot_Topic_UpdatingMicrosoftDynamicsGP10
11. All modified reports and form dictionaries must be upgraded using the Update Modified Forms and Reports process at the Additional Tasks window in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities.
12. If all modified reports and form dictionaries are shared, only upgrade the dictionaries once.
13. The MSP file can be pushed out to client workstations using Automatic Client Update, Group Policy or other mass deployment tools.
Post-Install and Upgrade Tips1. Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases following the upgrade.
2. Export all modified reports and forms to package files following the upgrade. (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance).
Assistance for the Year-End Install and Upgrade1. Microsoft Dynamics GP Support and Services Blog https://community.dynamics.com/product/gp/gptechnical/b/dynamicsgp/default.aspx
2. Microsoft Dynamics Community https://community.dynamics.com/product/GP/default.aspx
3. Microsoft Dynamics Support https://mbs.microsoft.com/support/newstart.aspx
If you are creating a case with the Technical Support Team, please refer to the routing below to ensure you are routed to the correct Professional for assistance.1. Assistance with the install of the MSP or EXEa. Support Topic Selection: System and Security Setup, Installation, Upgrade and Migrationsb. Sub-topic Selection: System Installation
2. Assistance with the database or report/form upgrade in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilitiesa. Support Topic Selection: System and Security Setup, Installation, Upgrade and Migrationsb. Sub-topic Selection: System Upgrade
3. Assistance with installing the tax table update in Microsoft Dynamics GP a. Support Topic Selection: Payrollb. Sub-topic Selection: Payroll Tax Update
4. Assistance with Payroll-specific issues related to the Year-End release and procedures a. Support Topic Selection: Payrollb. Sub-topic Selection: Year-End Procedures
KnowledgeBase Articles and Resources1. 2012 U.S. Payroll Year-End Update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Download Pagehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/downloads/taxupdates/usgpye2010.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/downloads/taxupdates/usgpye2010.htm?printpage=false
2. 2012 U.S. Payroll Year-End Update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 Download Pagehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/downloads/taxupdates/usgpye10.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/downloads/taxupdates/usgpye10.htm?printpage=false
3. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Upgrade Hot Topichttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/hottopic_mdgp2010_update.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/hottopic_mdgp2010_update.htm?printpage=false
4. Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 Upgrade Hot Topichttps://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=falsehttps://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/support/selfsupport/hottopics/Hot_Topic_UpdatingMicrosoftDynamicsGP10
5. KB 2545723 - How to Capture a Windows Installer Log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545723
6. KB 912997 - Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows Install MSP files for Microsoft Dynamics GPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/912997
7. KB 850996 - How to Enable a Dexsql.loghttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/850996
***MORE Year-End Blogs to come!!!*** Check out our 2012 Year-End Blog Series Schedule!
It is not stated in the above instructions, but Microsoft released a new tax update (Nov 6, 2012) that is required to be downloaded prior to installing the Year End updates.
Hi Doug, great comment. I wil cover the series of events specific to Payroll on Thursday withe the payroll year end post. Thanks!
Does the year-end update include the smartlist builder reminder hotfix? (KB 2731285)
Yes, the Year End Update includes all previous service packs, hotfixes and payroll compliance updates. This includes the hotfix for the SmartList Builder Reminder issue. Thanks!
Question regarding the tax update of Nov 2012. If a customer does the Year-End update without applying the November 2012 (round 6 or round 7), what effect will there be when Round 1 of the 2013 tax updates are applied?
Other Microsoft Sites
I'm a Customer
I'm a Partner
Follow Microsoft Dynamics