Business Alerts

This question is answered

Does anyone know where I can find good documentation on how to creat custom business alerts?

Thank you,

Donnette

Verified Answer
  • Hey Donnette,

I agree with Rubal on the documentation, but I also want to point out that you need to have the SQL server setup to send the emails as well. Besides what Rubal mentioned above here is some more information specifically on the SQL side. It also includes a link on how to switch Dynamics GP from the old SQL email to the new version of email that SQL uses. Sending emails from Business Alerts

Till later,

John

• At present I am still on GP10 and my Test Upgrade Server to GP2010 is being rebuilt (I test multiple times before I upgrade production). But I do not think that Business Alerts between the two have changed that overly much. In addition, my company does not use Inventory so I do not have any real data to test with but try this and see if it helps to get you headed in the right direction.

First, as it has been a while for me, I clicked on the help button and searched for "alerts" and got a ton of hits on how to setup, create, and maintain Business Alerts to refresh my memory.

Then I started the Business Alerts wizard and selected create a new alert.

Selected my company database, gave it an alert id and description.

On the next screen, I choose Inventory for the series, and Item Master for the table.

On the screen after that I selected my Item Master Table, and the Item Type field and clicked the Add Column button. (And as I have no inventory in our system this is where I start to get vague.)

Then you will need to select an operator most likely "=" and then enter and add whatever constant you need for a specific Item Type, then select the operator AND select the Item Cost field and an operator, I am guessing actually two operators NOT and BETWEEN then enter the constant <some dollar amount for the lowest price> another operator BETWEEN and then the final constant <some dollar amount for the highest price>. Given that I used the Item Type of 21 and 21.00 dollars for the low amount and 25.00 dollars for the high amount I ended up the this in the BUSINESS ALERT FORMULA box.

IV00101_T1.ITEMTYPE = 21 AND IV00101_T1.CURRCOST NOT BETWEEN 21.00 AND 25.00

After that that I clicked the next button and filled out all the EMAIL and SCHEDULE screens and that should be that. 

PLEASE keep in mind that my company does not use the Inventory part of GP so I do not have a way to really test this. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

till later

All Replies
  • Hi Donnette,

You can refer to the Business alerts in GP helps documentation. Open the Define Business Alert window and click the help icon on it or press F1

Here are some blog posts related to business alerts.

www.gpwindow.com/.../Business_Alerts

www.erpsoftwareblog.com/.../business-alerts

dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/.../using-business-alerts-with-extender.html

mbsguru.blogspot.com/.../custom-business-alerts.html

Rubal,

http://dynamicsgphelp.com/

• Hey Donnette,

I agree with Rubal on the documentation, but I also want to point out that you need to have the SQL server setup to send the emails as well. Besides what Rubal mentioned above here is some more information specifically on the SQL side. It also includes a link on how to switch Dynamics GP from the old SQL email to the new version of email that SQL uses. Sending emails from Business Alerts

Till later,

John

• Thank you John  and Rubal.

We have BA set-up and have implemented some of the canned alerts, but I'm wanting to define alerts with different criateria.

I appreciate the input!

Donnette

• Hey Donnette,

What kind of criteria are you trying to setup?

Is it a specific module of Dynamcis GP?

And while I am asking questions what version of GP and SQL are you using?

• GP2010 and SQL2008

Our supply chain manager wants several alerts on the inventory items, item resource planning, and bill of materials.

For example: SCM wants to know anytime an item is set-up, with a certain item type, that does not have a standard costs.  

It's easy to design a report with this data, but he wants to know when it happens and he doens't want to be required to run a report or query to see if something is missing.

Donnette

• At present I am still on GP10 and my Test Upgrade Server to GP2010 is being rebuilt (I test multiple times before I upgrade production). But I do not think that Business Alerts between the two have changed that overly much. In addition, my company does not use Inventory so I do not have any real data to test with but try this and see if it helps to get you headed in the right direction.

First, as it has been a while for me, I clicked on the help button and searched for "alerts" and got a ton of hits on how to setup, create, and maintain Business Alerts to refresh my memory.

Then I started the Business Alerts wizard and selected create a new alert.

Selected my company database, gave it an alert id and description.

On the next screen, I choose Inventory for the series, and Item Master for the table.

On the screen after that I selected my Item Master Table, and the Item Type field and clicked the Add Column button. (And as I have no inventory in our system this is where I start to get vague.)

Then you will need to select an operator most likely "=" and then enter and add whatever constant you need for a specific Item Type, then select the operator AND select the Item Cost field and an operator, I am guessing actually two operators NOT and BETWEEN then enter the constant <some dollar amount for the lowest price> another operator BETWEEN and then the final constant <some dollar amount for the highest price>. Given that I used the Item Type of 21 and 21.00 dollars for the low amount and 25.00 dollars for the high amount I ended up the this in the BUSINESS ALERT FORMULA box.

IV00101_T1.ITEMTYPE = 21 AND IV00101_T1.CURRCOST NOT BETWEEN 21.00 AND 25.00

After that that I clicked the next button and filled out all the EMAIL and SCHEDULE screens and that should be that. 

PLEASE keep in mind that my company does not use the Inventory part of GP so I do not have a way to really test this. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

till later

• Thank you JOHN!