I have a strange issue that has popped up with GP Word Templates and I'm wondering if anyone can pinpoint me to the little thing that I have overlooked. At my company we have decided to start using the email function to email invoices. So far I have gotten everything set up and it's working great until we discovered something. Originally when I first opened a modified template in MS Word a lot of the fields were in the wrong places. I have corrected this for the "new" and "historical" modified templates and formatted them the way that we wanted them.
I have enabled emailing of sales invoices and selected .PDF as the document type to email. When I print an old or new invoice to the screen the output is just as it should be. However when a coworker of mine decided to try to start emailing the invoice (from the email button in the invoice window,) it is emailing the template with the fields in the wrong place. And yes, I have assigned template to the company and the customers (just be to sure I assigned it to ALL customers) and the problem still persists. Any insight or recommendations of things to check would be appreciated. Thanks.
Does the user have user security to the underlying modified synamics GP report?
Does this happen for all users?
Ian Stewart MVP - International support for Dynamics GP. Local knowledge, local timelines, local GP talent. Genesys Financial Systems (Europe) Microsoft Gold Certified Partner http://dynamicsgp.wordpress.com/
Well I am currently at home now and I do not have access to the server but you do make a good point. I seem to remember when I tested the email function that I was logged in as SA. At that time the test emails DID contain the correct templates. Thank you I will definitely check that first tomorrow morning.
To further Ian's response - unless you are using a shared reports dictionary or terminal/citrix environment, the modified report will most likely need to be imported to the machine(s) that will use it.
Naturally, while following the advice from both of you, I've run across another strange issue that seems to be causing this problem.
Before I get into it, let me answer the questions you asked above. I am having the same problem logged in as SA. The Word templates are stored on the server that the SQL database is on. I had to modify them with a client PC but they are saved in an open folder on the server. I have opened the templates to verify that they are correct.
While drilling down to this problem, it only appears with "new" invoices. The historical ones function as they should. Before I made the these Word templates I removed a text only field from the GP standard SOP Blank Invoice Form report and added a company user-defined field in it's place. When I print the standard report it prints as if no changes have been made. When I open the standard report in the report writer the changes are there. I'm also logged in as SA while testing this. Is it broke or is there a crucial little step I don't know about when modifying the standard GP reports?
"When I print the standard report it prints as if no changes have been made. When I open the standard report in the report writer the changes are there." Sounded like you forgot to change the settings to print modified report.
That's a good thought
Not having the security set to the modified report would explain why you can't see the changes.
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I had another GP project I had to move forward on. It went much smoother than this thankfully.
The report was actually already a modified report. I believe a rep had someone create these modified reports for us awhile back. It turned out the problem on the standard report was all my fault. In a hurry I made the changes to the top header and not the bottom one. So that is fixed now.
However, I'm back to previous problem of the Blank Invoice Word Template not printing as it should. The template is stored on the server with the GP database and I'm trying to print using SA log in and still having the same issues. When I open the Word template to modify it, it is set up correctly, when I print it the page header area looks like it did before I modified it but the report header area is showing changes so I'm pretty sure I'm using the right report for this. I have tried using the same fields from the report header AND page header area without any luck. I have feeling this is just another **facepalm** mistake of mine but it's driving me crazy! By the way, thanks everyone for your help.
I just realized that since the original Modified Blank Invoice standard template had those issues that maybe I should delete and recreate the a new Word template based off the newly revised standard template. I will give it a shot since it doesn't take long to do the Word templates.
That did it! I guess I just needed to step away from it for a week. Thanks for all the quick replies and information that you offered up.
Other Microsoft Sites
I'm a Customer
I'm a Partner
Use the official Twitter tags:
#MSDYNCOMM | #CONV13