Question Status

Unanswered
SergioN asked a question on 27 Jun 2013 8:14 AM

Can a Licence as "Designer" be assigned to a user that will only have the role of "viewer"?

Thanks for your help.

Ian Grieve responded on 27 Jun 2013 9:55 AM

A designer licence can be assigned to anyone so could be used only for Viewing Reports, but MR would still treat it as a Designer licence and the user would have full designer permissions.

Author of azurecurve|Ramblings of a Dynamics GP Consultant

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for Dynamics GP in 2013 and 2014.

Senior Consultant at Perfect Image Ltd
Perfect Image/ Dynamics GP
Tel: +44 (0) 843 289 2656
Equinox House, Cobalt 3.2, Silver Fox Lane, Silverlink, North Tyneside, NE27 0QJ, United Kingdom

SergioN responded on 27 Jun 2013 11:29 AM

Ok thanks Ian

A bit more specific about this:

A designer is able to create building blocks (rows, columns etc..) and generate and views reports,

while a viewer can only view reports published.

If so, can we removed the role of creating building blocks and generating reports to only restrict him to perform the viewing reports as a viewer do?

And how can we do that?

Ian Grieve responded on 27 Jun 2013 11:45 AM

No, the role permissions cannot be changed. However, you could delete the Designer shortcut (and even the exe if they have a full-fat PC) so that user doesn't have the ability to start the Designer.

Once you go to GP 2013 the issue goes away as you have unlimited Designer and Viewer licences.

Equinox House, Cobalt 3.2, Silver Fox Lane, Silverlink, North Tyneside, NE27 0QJ, United Kingdom

SergioN responded on 27 Jun 2013 12:30 PM

Thanks, that very helpful.

Ian Richardson responded on 27 Jun 2013 1:44 PM

I have simply not installed management reporter on my users that should be viewers but for whatever reason my license shows zero viewers.  Now all they can do is look at the reports I design and generate for them.

Ian Grieve responded on 27 Jun 2013 10:51 PM

Hi ian,

Management Reporter licences are for named users; so if you create a user in Management Reporter Security as a Viewer then that is one licence used regardless of whether they have the software installed.

The Tools >> Registration page will tell you how many of each licence type you have.

Ian

Ian Richardson responded on 28 Jun 2013 6:50 AM

hi Ian

Oh I quite realize that I am using up a license.  My point was more that the users despite being a designed wont be able to design anything as they wont be able to get at the software since its not installed.

Ian Grieve responded on 28 Jun 2013 12:42 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood.

With the Web Viewer, introduced in RU5 you don't need to install any software for Viewers as long as they will only view the latest report.