We recently upgrade from GP2010 to GP2013. So far everything works with the exception of one third party software among others. After some back and forth with them they asked me to look in the addins folder under the GP2013 directory. The problematic workstations have the addins folder empty. That shocked me because I know we have other third party software that uses addins and they are working. I discovered that all the addins where in c:\addins. Is this location correct for the addins? I tested in one workstation moving all the files from c:\addins to ..\GP2013\Addins and now my third party software works, but I am wondering why the addins are in the c:\addins folder.
Is c:\addins a normal location in GP2013 for the addins? Is there a config file to tell GP where to look for the addins?
I guess may be someone from your side manually move these files from GP AddIns folder to C:\addins. Can you check with your IT team to track these information, if this is possible?
Try to install the 3rd party products in your test environment and check whether the addins dll files located in GP folder or C:\Addins folder.
Hope this helps!!!
Note: Please mark it as verified, if this answer your question. Because this will helps to some others who experience the same.
Somakarpagamoorthy K | GP Techno-Functional Consultant | Dynamics Thoughts
In GP 2013 we decided to move all the files that use to be in the Add-in folders into the GP code folder to increase performance. With that being said typically 3rd party products have their own choice as to where they want to put their DLL files however it should not be in the location you noted. I would say if it is not in the Addins folder then they would put them directly in the GP code folder location.
There were actually several factors that influenced the changes in the AddIns for GP 2013. While it's possible that performance can be improved when Visual Studio Tools add-ins are placed in the root GP folder, that wasn't the primary reason for the change. The biggest reason for the change was the addition of the web client.
Some add-ins work with the desktop client, but not with the web client. A way to control when the add-ins were loaded was needed. In the initial implementation of this functionality in GP 2013 RTM and Service Pack 1, the add-ins that ship with GP were moved from the AddIns folder to the root GP folder. To be loaded from the root folder requires that each add-in have an entry in the Dynamics.exe.config file. How this entry is made determines whether the add-in loads for the desktop client, the web client, or both clients. A side benefit was that the AddIns folder that was starting to get cluttered up with core GP assemblies was now basically left to house third-party add-ins.
The downside of this initial approach was that third-parties who wanted to install add-ins that worked on the web client couldn't use the AddIns folder. So, a change was made in Service Pack 2 to provide more flexibility to the Visual Studio Tools developer. When they created their add-in, they could decide at that time which client type or types they supported. Installation was back to being as simple as copying the assembly into the AddIns folder. The core GP add-ins still use the Dynamics.exe.config and are found in the root GP folder.
I'm not sure how the c:\AddIns folder would have gotten created. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not a valid location for AddIns.
That may be more detail that you were asking for. :-)
Thank you for the Information both of you.
Well, all my workstations (with the exception one) use the c:\addins folder instead of the ..\GP2013\Addins. An Interesting thing is that the third party software installation process put their addins in the c:\addins where all GP addins are located now instead of using ..\GP2013\Addins folder. So, in some way the install process knows where they are located.
Now I will just wait for the third party support to deal with it.
I guess, the third party software installation process may put their addins to the folder c:\addins instead of using ..\GP2013\Addins folder. As you said, please check with this on third party support and let us know the status.
I talked to my vendor and they did not put the addins there, they were also surprise that the addins where at the C:\ level. The addins folder under GP was empty. Here is the list of the current c:\Addins folder:
As you can see there are standart Microsoft GP files in it as well. So I really don't know how that happen.
I resolved my issue moving the contents of the c:\addins into ..\gp2013\addins with the exception of one workstation where GP crashes if I move the files.