Question Status

Suggested Answer
yvetteya asked a question on 25 Aug 2014 6:43 PM

I am trying to set up a new item number which is similar to an existing item number.  After entering the new item number, I then move to the item description field, but it automatically changes the item number and all it's corresponding fields to the similar item number.  I do not want the similar item number.

What am I doing wrong? Or does GP not allow any similar item numbers to be entered?

I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.  Thank you.

Frank Hamelly responded on 25 Aug 2014 10:18 PM

You must be entering the existing item number, which is causing the existing description and other details to default in.  All item numbers are unique in GP.  You could use the existing item number and add a space to the end of it and GP would recognize it as a new number.

** Please, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know it resolved your issue. **

Frank E. Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCP-AX, MCITP, MCT, MVP

http://gp2themax.blogspot.com/

Suggested Answer
Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 25 Aug 2014 11:12 PM

GP not allow to enter/use more than one similar item numbers. Item Numbers are unique fields in GP. Better you can add some post-fix to the item number fields like ITEM001, ITEM002,etc.,

Note: You can create multiple items with different item numbers along with same Descriptions or Generic Descriptions.

Hope this helps!!!

Note: Please mark it as verified, if this answer your question. Because this will helps to some others who experience the same.

Best Regards,

Somakarpagamoorthy K | Microsoft Dynamics GP Consultant | Dynamics Thoughts

yvetteya responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:33 PM

The New Item # I am trying to enter is DASH-CA-050-BLK, but the system keeps bringing up existing item # AF-DASH-CA-050.  There is a difference in these 2 numbers.

Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:37 PM

Do you have installed any customization with belongs to Item Maintenance window?

Also run the below query against company database to check whether the both item numbers available or not.

SELECT * FROM IV00101 WHERE ITEMNMBR IN ('DASH-CA-050-BLK','AF-DASH-CA-050')

Your reply is much appreciated.

Note: Please mark it as verified, if this answer your question. Because this will helps to some others who experience the same.

Best Regards,

Frank Hamelly responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:37 PM

Do you have Rockton SmartFill installed?  It may be auto-filling the item number field when you start typing your new number.  If so, type over the auto-filled number with your new number before tabbing out of the item number field.

** Please, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know it resolved your issue. **

Frank E. Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCP-AX, MCITP, MCT, MVP

http://gp2themax.blogspot.com/

yvetteya responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:50 PM

We do not have Rockton Smartfill installed.  The existing item number does not appear until after I tab out of the item number field and it does not let me go back to the item number field to type over the existing item number.

Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:55 PM

Go to Customization Status window(Tools-->Customize-->Customization Status), and click print button to print the Trigger List report to check whether the Item Number has any triggers.

Also try to run the SQL Profiler to trace the log.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

yvetteya responded on 26 Aug 2014 1:56 PM

No customization installed.  Ran query for Item #'s.  Item# DASH-CA-050-BLK is not available.

Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 26 Aug 2014 2:11 PM

Have you try to run the SQL Profiler to trace the log?

Please follow below link to trace SQL log while entering Item Number.

msdn.microsoft.com/.../ms173799.aspx

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

yvetteya responded on 26 Aug 2014 2:11 PM

Do you know which Product Name that I should look under? There is a lot in the Trigger List Report that I ran.

Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 26 Aug 2014 2:25 PM

Find Item number field from the file.

or

Can you attach the file?

Best Regards,

Leslie Vail responded on 27 Aug 2014 8:14 PM

Hi,

What happens if you enter a new item number - don't tab off of the field, and then hit the Copy button at the top of the window? See if you can copy the data from your similar item.

Leslie

Leslie Vail, CPA, MVP, MCT, MCITP, MCP, MCITS
ASCI, Inc.    *    PO Box 600965   *   Dallas, TX 75360    *   972-814-8550   *   leslievail@earthlink.net

Suggested Answer
Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 25 Aug 2014 11:12 PM

GP not allow to enter/use more than one similar item numbers. Item Numbers are unique fields in GP. Better you can add some post-fix to the item number fields like ITEM001, ITEM002,etc.,

Note: You can create multiple items with different item numbers along with same Descriptions or Generic Descriptions.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,