Question Status

Verified
Glen@GS asked a question on 9 Mar 2015 10:20 AM

We've been told by our GP implementation partner that we need Microsoft Integration Manager in order to import files from our employee timeclock into Dynamics GP 2013 R2 payroll.  These are very basic csv and/or txt files with paycodes and hours for less than 100 employees.  Between the purchase price of Integration Manager and the first year's maintenance, it would come to over $7,000.  This seems steep considering the basic nature of the data.  Are there any more practical alternatives out there?  Thanks for any ideas.

Shan M responded on 9 Mar 2015 10:31 AM

Hi Glen,

The Integration manager is the tool comes with the Microsoft Dynamics GP.The module comes included with your GP purchase, However, the free license period only last for 9 months beyond the date of your GP installation. This temporary license is designed to give you enough time to execute an initial data migration to GP, but for ongoing GP integrations you’ll need to purchase a license.

There are some 3rd party tools available in the market to meet  your requirement.

Note: Kindly check with your partner about the licencing details for IM .

Refer the below links:

www.erpsoftwareblog.com/.../3-ways-to-import-data-into-microsoft-dynamics-gp-integration-manager-econnect-web-services

www.erpsoftwareblog.com/.../four-options-for-integrating-your-dynamics-gp-the-case-for-scribe

Hope it helps.

**To save someone's time, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know the answer.

Thanks,

Shan

Bill Campbell responded on 9 Mar 2015 10:53 AM

Glen, first question, what does you Timeclock vendor provide?

We have been using a timeclock system with a few of our clients for about 10 years now and neither of them have to 'import' their own data.  The timeclock vendor does that.

Where are you trying to get the time data?  Are you taking it to Payroll or to Financial?  Are you getting completed Journal Entries, if so, there is an option to 'copy / paste' the JE to the GL - but, if you are going to payroll, that is a different matter.

As to Integration Manager - it is a steep price no question - but for what it does it is pretty hard to beat.

Shan comments on the 'free' portion of the IM licence is related more to the practice of having IM available during the start up of the implementation and to assist in the migration from an existing system.

Sending in a bit more data on the nature of the Timeclock might help as well.

** Please, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know it resolved your issue. **

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations
M.I.S. Management Information Solutions Ltd.
Cell: +1 780 994 2455
Off : +1 780 481 5564

Verified Answer
Harry Lee responded on 9 Mar 2015 11:55 AM

Another alternative is explained in this post.

dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/.../often-overlooked-yet-powerful-table.html

Verified Answer
Bill Campbell responded on 9 Mar 2015 12:17 PM

I am a huge fan of Table Import.  I am huge non-fan of the fact that it does not validate the application logic.  So you can get the data forms all correct, but still put junk in the system.

I am pretty clear with clients I only use Table Import for Tombstone Data input.

** Please, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know it resolved your issue. **

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations

Glen@GS responded on 9 Mar 2015 1:02 PM

Understood.  Thanks.

Suggested Answer
Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 9 Mar 2015 1:55 PM

You can also use Macro file to upload your data into GP.

Please have a look on the below links to create a macro file with using word mail merge.

community.dynamics.com/.../how-to-use-word-mail-merge-and-macros-to-import-data.aspx

www.isolutionspartners.com/importing-data-into-microsoft-dynamics-gp

Hope this helps!!!

Note: Please mark it as verified, if this answer your question. Because this will helps to some others who experience the same.

Best Regards,

Somakarpagamoorthy K | Microsoft Dynamics GP Consultant | Dynamics Thoughts

Heather Roggeveen responded on 9 Mar 2015 2:04 PM

I was about to say the same as Soma - macros can be very useful, but can be tricky in some windows.  I have a video on how to do it using Mail Merge:

One thing to consider is whether you may have wider use of Integration Manager.  You can use it to import monthly journals, transactions to bank, sales and accounts payable invoices.  If there is wider use, you will certainly find that the price tag is not so large - the functionality is very good.

However, if this is the only thing you will use it for, definitely consider other options.

I personally have never used table import, and I think Bill's comment on validation of data is important. 

Question for the forum - does table import put the transactions into a work state enabling posting?  If so, then I think it is definitely worth playing with.  The posting process for transactions would then help reduce, if not eliminate rubbish coming in.

Bill Campbell responded on 9 Mar 2015 2:09 PM

Heather, just to jump on that comment on Table Import - the challenge is more related to getting the data good.  If you enter a number into a date field, the system will do with it what it can and create the 'best date' possible.  Conversly, dates going into number fields seem to fail with a bang - but again - if you leave off the formatting - it is just a number.  

If Table Import goes to Batch - then it would be better - but I seem to recall that you can enter data into a number of tables directly - I might be wrong - but . . .

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations

Heather Roggeveen responded on 9 Mar 2015 2:16 PM

Oh - technically, you can enter data into any table you like - but I don't think any of us with experience in GP would recommend that.  It is bad enough when we have delete data because of interrupted postings etc.  The table structure is complex!

The beauty with things like Integration Manager is the validation.

I have had a few clients over the years that have in house developers (and we do ourselves).  Any custom integration work we do we always use web services or otherwise to write to work tables so posting can be the final validation.

Card files I have less of an issue with because they can either be deleted or modified in most cases.  But transactions I will insist on using posting.  If the client chooses to do otherwise, I am not going to clean up!

Kerry Draper responded on 9 Mar 2015 2:24 PM

We use Kronos Workforce Ready, a cloud app.  They create the files for GP but we must still import them.  We must also export on a regular basis for new employees, projects etc...  I think the best tool for the job is eOne  SmartConnect.

https://www.eonesolutions.com/Products/SmartConnect

The price is reasonable and much more capable than IM.  However if I did not have a bunch of other integrations to manage I would probably consider Table Import.  There is no scheduling features and it does not have data validation or any logic that you can add to your import, like get next transaction number but it works and it is free.

Suggested Answer
Shan M responded on 10 Mar 2015 3:38 AM

Hi,

The table import is a good option as suggested by Harry. The only thing you should be aware of the respective tables for your process. In your case, it was hours and pay codes needs to be integrated it requires couple of more tables. First, your employee codes needs to be created and then the pay codes... Be aware of list of tables required for your process, otherwise it will be incomplete data imported in the GP application and you may not able to save/post.

Hope it helps.

**To save someone's time, if this answers your question, mark it as 'Answered' so others experiencing the same will know the answer.

Thanks,

Shan

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 10 Mar 2015 7:49 AM

There is no 'Batch' with Table Import.  It's like executing a SQL statement to insert records into the table with no data validation whatsoever.  You could use Table Import in this instance but for data as sensitive as payroll, I think I'd spring for Integration Manager to be on the safe side.

Frank E. Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCP-AX, MCITP, MCT, MVP

http://gp2themax.blogspot.com/

Bill Campbell responded on 10 Mar 2015 9:43 AM

Glen, have you settled on a Employee Timeclock?

If not, then I might suggest one that we have worked with for years with great success

Sierra Workforce Solutions

http://sierraws.com/

Fully integrated, on premise or in the cloud deployment.

Anyway, not the only choice, but it works.

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations

Suggested Answer
Harry Lee responded on 10 Mar 2015 10:16 AM

I think if Microsoft would return to the days when Integration Manager could be purchased piece meal, then the tool would find more takers.  I have had a number of clients balk at the prohibitive price of the Integration Suite, when all they need is a GL or Payroll import... Just saying.

Suggested Answer
Bill Campbell responded on 10 Mar 2015 10:30 AM

Harry I could not agree more - they have priced themselves out of the tools market for some.  That is why the huge influx of new tools that work well.

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations

Verified Answer
Harry Lee responded on 9 Mar 2015 11:55 AM

Another alternative is explained in this post.

dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/.../often-overlooked-yet-powerful-table.html

Verified Answer
Bill Campbell responded on 9 Mar 2015 12:17 PM

I am a huge fan of Table Import.  I am huge non-fan of the fact that it does not validate the application logic.  So you can get the data forms all correct, but still put junk in the system.

I am pretty clear with clients I only use Table Import for Tombstone Data input.

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations

Suggested Answer
Somakarpagamoorthy Kanagasabapathy responded on 9 Mar 2015 1:55 PM

You can also use Macro file to upload your data into GP.

Please have a look on the below links to create a macro file with using word mail merge.

community.dynamics.com/.../how-to-use-word-mail-merge-and-macros-to-import-data.aspx

www.isolutionspartners.com/importing-data-into-microsoft-dynamics-gp

Hope this helps!!!

Note: Please mark it as verified, if this answer your question. Because this will helps to some others who experience the same.

Best Regards,

Somakarpagamoorthy K | Microsoft Dynamics GP Consultant | Dynamics Thoughts

Suggested Answer
Shan M responded on 10 Mar 2015 3:38 AM

Hi,

The table import is a good option as suggested by Harry. The only thing you should be aware of the respective tables for your process. In your case, it was hours and pay codes needs to be integrated it requires couple of more tables. First, your employee codes needs to be created and then the pay codes... Be aware of list of tables required for your process, otherwise it will be incomplete data imported in the GP application and you may not able to save/post.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Shan

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 10 Mar 2015 7:49 AM

There is no 'Batch' with Table Import.  It's like executing a SQL statement to insert records into the table with no data validation whatsoever.  You could use Table Import in this instance but for data as sensitive as payroll, I think I'd spring for Integration Manager to be on the safe side.

Frank E. Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCP-AX, MCITP, MCT, MVP

http://gp2themax.blogspot.com/

Suggested Answer
Harry Lee responded on 10 Mar 2015 10:16 AM

I think if Microsoft would return to the days when Integration Manager could be purchased piece meal, then the tool would find more takers.  I have had a number of clients balk at the prohibitive price of the Integration Suite, when all they need is a GL or Payroll import... Just saying.

Suggested Answer
Bill Campbell responded on 10 Mar 2015 10:30 AM

Harry I could not agree more - they have priced themselves out of the tools market for some.  That is why the huge influx of new tools that work well.

Bill Campbell
Director, Operations