Question Status

Verified
Michael Heerkens asked a question on 20 Oct 2011 12:33 PM

We have installed GP 2010 on a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise edition workstation,
I noticed that it installed (by default) into the C:\Program Files(x86) folder which would make me assume that it installed the x32 client and not the x64 client.

I don't see an x64 client download available in our software portal, I assumed it was part of the single 2 GB GP 2010 R2 download we grabbed and that the installer would be able to differentiate an x32 versus x64 OS.

The accountants are expecting an x64 client which is often talked about at various accounting seminars they attend.

So in short my questions are:

1) IS there really an x64 client

2) Is the client I installed in fact really an x64 but it got installed inadvertently into x32

Verified Answer
Francisco Garcia Hillyer responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:01 PM

Michael, for GP there is no 64 BIT application, what Microsoft states is that you can install a 32 bit version of GP in a 64 bit OS.

Your accountants should not be expecting a 64 bit client unless you want to mask that and install GP in another folder named "Program Files(64bit)" you can decide where to install GP, the folder where GP was installed is the default, when 64 bit OS is detected.

Verified Answer
Richard Wheeler responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:02 PM

There is no 64 bit client for MS Dynamics GP.

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

Verified Answer
Richard Wheeler responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:05 PM

I neglected to also mention that any ODBC connections you will be creating need to use the 32 Bit ODBC administrator. Ask them which seminars mention this and perhaps have them send emails to the presenters so they do not continue to spread misinformation.

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

Verified Answer
Michael Heerkens responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:35 PM

Thanks for the the replies. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion but wanted to know definitely one way or another from those more experienced with GP 2010.

I had already come across the x32 ODBC situation and corrected the misconception that accounting had in regards to that, thanks for re-affirming.

Verified Answer
Francisco Garcia Hillyer responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:01 PM

Michael, for GP there is no 64 BIT application, what Microsoft states is that you can install a 32 bit version of GP in a 64 bit OS.

Your accountants should not be expecting a 64 bit client unless you want to mask that and install GP in another folder named "Program Files(64bit)" you can decide where to install GP, the folder where GP was installed is the default, when 64 bit OS is detected.

Verified Answer
Richard Wheeler responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:02 PM

There is no 64 bit client for MS Dynamics GP.

Verified Answer
Richard Wheeler responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:05 PM

I neglected to also mention that any ODBC connections you will be creating need to use the 32 Bit ODBC administrator. Ask them which seminars mention this and perhaps have them send emails to the presenters so they do not continue to spread misinformation.

Verified Answer
Michael Heerkens responded on 20 Oct 2011 1:35 PM

Thanks for the the replies. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion but wanted to know definitely one way or another from those more experienced with GP 2010.

I had already come across the x32 ODBC situation and corrected the misconception that accounting had in regards to that, thanks for re-affirming.