Question Status

Suggested Answer
Brad Burian asked a question on 22 Nov 2011 10:53 AM

Alright guys im losing my mind. I am trying to play around with Business portal so I can potentially implement it in my company. I installed the following in this order:

• Server 2008 Standard
  • SQL 2008
  • GP2010
  • Web Services for GP2010
  • Sharepoint Foundation 2010
  • Business Portal 5.1

I created a test site in sharepoint and I see the links for Business Portal and GP Reports. However, when I click on Business Portal I get "an unexpected error has occured". Im logging into sharepoint with our domain admin login.

I checked the Dynamics Web Services Exception Console and see the following error:

"Access to the operation has been denied" under the exception detail it lists the source as Microsoft.dynamics.common and the type is System.Security.SecurityException and then a bunch of stack trace info.

Im almost positive this is a permissions issue, but have no idea where to begin.

Suggested Answer
Ken Fuentes responded on 4 Jan 2012 8:44 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you for getting back to me on this one.

I have already done this as well, even before I did this posting.

I have found something on the “BusinessPortalAdminGuide51”, Chapter 11, page 61, Managing Web Service Users (as well as on “WSInstallAdminGuide”, Chapter 6, page 39, Web Services Security) which I seemed to have overlooked, and refers to setting up Web Services Permissions. I have now set this up, and is just waiting for the 20 mins waiting period for the changes to take effect.

Brad, it would be good if you have a look at these PDF Files as well, the answer to your issue may well depend on them.

Cheers,

Ken Fuentes

Suggested Answer
TSMurphy responded on 2 Apr 2013 2:36 PM

Try this for the Reporting Services issue.

1 > Navigate to SQL Report Manager

2 > Drill into Data Sources

3 > Drill into GPDYNAMICS > Properties

4 > Change "Integrated Security=False" in the Connection String box

5 > Select "Credentials stored securely in the report server" under the Connect Using section

6 > Enter a user name with access; we use "sa" and the SQL sa password

7 > Test connection

8 > Do the same procedure for GPXXX data source

9 > Now try accessing pages with KPIs/Charts and reports

Rob Bernhardt responded on 28 Nov 2011 7:52 AM

Brad,

Thanks for using the newsgroups.  Here are a few things to check.

-  Is your domain admin also the user that installed and has access to the various products you mention?  You will want to log into BP initially with the same user that installed.  

-  Does your IIS app pool user have access to the web services?  Specifically, I believe this user needs to be assied to the BDC Administrator role.

-  Have you checked your event viewer for other error messages?  

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Brad Burian responded on 28 Nov 2011 12:38 PM

Hey Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I checked everything you mentioned above and did not see an issue. I have opened up every permission I can think of the the central administration side as well as the web side of Sharepoint. when I access the GP Exceptions Manager the below error is the only one I keep receiving upon trying to click on my "Business Portal" link in my sharepoint site.

When I click "View Exception Detail" The following screen is what I get:

I feel like this is going to be something easy to fix and I am just overlooking it.

Rob Bernhardt responded on 29 Nov 2011 7:51 AM

Brad,

What user is your  BP app pool set up to use?  The above images lead me to believe it may be network service.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

Arunprasath responded on 29 Nov 2011 8:49 PM

Has the BP installed using login with domain admin rights?  Web services is working fine. Can you confirm that..

Ken Fuentes responded on 4 Jan 2012 6:56 PM

Hi All,

I seem to be having the same issue as Brad's, but mine is that i cannot give other users access to BP. I am using the same account (with Domain Admin Rights) i used to install BP on the same Platform as Brad's (Only difference is that we are on Server 2008 R2) to give other users access, but no luck. I have made the users member of the "BP Administrator" Group just to test, but still, the users are being denied access as per below :

Error

An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: 78156711-bbb3-4aac-a669-3e8536453262

Date and Time: 1/5/2012 1:48:52 PM

I have also made said users Administrator of the Sharepoint Site just to see if they could get into BP, still no luck.

Can anybody provide some help on the matter?

Thanks in Advance

Rob Bernhardt responded on 4 Jan 2012 7:44 PM

Ken,

Assigning your users to SharePoint groups gives them access to the pages, but they also need access to the data, which is set up differently.  If you haven't already done so, go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Users (under Administration?).  This is where you give your users access to the data.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

Suggested Answer
Ken Fuentes responded on 4 Jan 2012 8:44 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you for getting back to me on this one.

I have already done this as well, even before I did this posting.

I have found something on the “BusinessPortalAdminGuide51”, Chapter 11, page 61, Managing Web Service Users (as well as on “WSInstallAdminGuide”, Chapter 6, page 39, Web Services Security) which I seemed to have overlooked, and refers to setting up Web Services Permissions. I have now set this up, and is just waiting for the 20 mins waiting period for the changes to take effect.

Brad, it would be good if you have a look at these PDF Files as well, the answer to your issue may well depend on them.

Cheers,

Ken Fuentes

Ken Fuentes responded on 5 Jan 2012 2:38 PM

Hi Rob,

Giving the user access from the Web Services thru the Dynamics Security Console as SuperUsers did not solve my issue.

I even went as far as giving the user access to every BP User Group and still no luck.

I am back to square one.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

Rob Bernhardt responded on 5 Jan 2012 2:54 PM

Ken,

We need some more debugging information!  Try the following:  go into your web.config for your BP SharePoint site (something like the following:  <drive>\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\XX where XX = port).  Find the customErrors tag and set it to false.  Find CallStack and set it to true.  After doing that, try again with your users and see what you get.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

Ken Fuentes responded on 5 Jan 2012 3:14 PM

Hi Rob,

Done as per your instruction, found the Web Config file and edited customErrors = Off and CallStack = True, and got the user to try, and this is the error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invalid user.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.BusinessFramework.Security.AuthenticationException: Invalid user.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace:

[AuthenticationException: Invalid user.]

Microsoft.BusinessFramework.UserManager.VerifyUser() +1436

Microsoft.BusinessFramework.EnterpriseSession.Initialize(String enterpriseUrl) +1642

Microsoft.BusinessFramework.Security.EnterpriseInitializationModule.OnAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) +91

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

Where do yo think should i go from here?

Really appreciate your help on this mate.

Cheers,

Ken

Rob Bernhardt responded on 5 Jan 2012 7:12 PM

Ken,

This is the error that I would expect to see if the user had not been assigned to a Business Portal role.  It sounds like you have assigned your users to SharePoint groups.  If not, they likely would have received a SharePoint "Access Denied".  Are you sure you've set up the said user with Business Portal roles?  At a minimum, your users must be assigned to the "User" role for the companies you'd like them to use.

As admin, go to BP home > Site Actions > Site Settings > Users (Under Business Portal Administration) > Add new user.  You should now be able to add your user and assign them to various roles.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

Rose Duley responded on 14 Jan 2013 2:07 AM

Hi Rob I am having exactly the same problem as Ken.  I get the same error as above.  I have gone overboard and given the user the following:

In MS Dynamics Security Admin user is a SuperUser and BDC Administrator

In Sharepoint Portal Site User has read access through BP Internal User group, is a BPAdministrator and i have added the user individually with Full Control!

In Site Settings, Bysiness Portal Users: the user has been assigned the folowing roles:

Back office user; Customer; Employee; Manager; user; and vendor!!

All this and user still has problem accessing site!

I then have another problem with the Administrator account that installed BP :  Has no access to the Reports on the Dashboards! Besides reports not being found, i also get "An error occurred during report processing (rsProcessingAborted)" - can't find right info to solve this one either!  

Any urgent help would be greatly appreciated i am tearing my hair out now.

Error is below:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid user.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.BusinessFramework.Security.AuthenticationException: Invalid user.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[AuthenticationException: Invalid user.]
   Microsoft.BusinessFramework.UserManager.VerifyUser() +1436
   Microsoft.BusinessFramework.EnterpriseSession.Initialize(String enterpriseUrl) +1642
   Microsoft.BusinessFramework.Security.EnterpriseInitializationModule.OnAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) +91
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5466; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456

Rose Duley responded on 14 Jan 2013 3:50 AM

Resolved my own issue with regards to the above error!  When adding a Business Portal user in Site Settings my domain comes up more than once - one without suffix and the other with.  I had created user with the suffix = e.g. domain.co.za  .  I removed the user and recreatd it choosing domain as "domain" name only, without suffix!!  and all is hunky dorey!

Just still need help now on the reporting side!!  if you are reading this and can give me help with BP and the Charts and KPIs and reports - please get back to me.

Rob Bernhardt responded on 14 Jan 2013 6:23 AM

Rose,

Below are a few questions that will help me better understand your scenario.

• What version of BP?
  • Have you deployed your reports?  If so, how mode did you deploy them in?  (native or SharePoint Integrated)
  • Does your user have access to the reports?  If not, you'll need to grant them access in Reports Manager for native and SharePoint for SharePoint Integrated reports.
  • How many machines are you using in your environment?  Where is BP, your reports, and the SQL database engine?  Kerberos authentication may be needed depending on your configuration.
  • Does your user have access to the data?  They'll likely need a rpt_* database role assigned which will give them permission to the data needed for the reports.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Bernhardt [MSFT]

Ken Fuentes responded on 14 Jan 2013 2:09 PM

Hi Rose,

Have you setup the Reports Catalouge? You will need this for the "Charts and KPIs and reports ".

Additional Setup – Part 4, Page 61 of BusinessPortalInstallation51.pdf

You can download the Documentation from the Internet.

Thanks

Ken