MR 2012 too slow

This question is answered

I just recently migrated a series of FRx 6.7 reports to Management Reporter 2012. This client has a consolidated incoime statement that incorporates 17 companies. They have only been using GP 2010 for one year. When this report was run in FRx it took 20 minutes. When the report is run in MR 2012 it takes almost an hour. What should I look at to speed up the running of this report?

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

Verified Answer
  • Rich:  Take a look at how it was built when it is looking at dimensions.  In FRx you were forced to always put something in for a dimension.  In MR2012 you don't always have to.  Look in your tree if you are mentioning each company and then putting information in for the dimension you might find that you don't need anything there at all.  My reports were also running slower and I went in and cleaned up a whole lot of areas that I now had *'s on that I didn't need to have in there and it worked a whole lot faster.  I'm only doing consolidations on about 12 companies but it sped everything up.

All Replies
  • Rich:  Take a look at how it was built when it is looking at dimensions.  In FRx you were forced to always put something in for a dimension.  In MR2012 you don't always have to.  Look in your tree if you are mentioning each company and then putting information in for the dimension you might find that you don't need anything there at all.  My reports were also running slower and I went in and cleaned up a whole lot of areas that I now had *'s on that I didn't need to have in there and it worked a whole lot faster.  I'm only doing consolidations on about 12 companies but it sped everything up.

• What is the Legacy Data Provider versus Data Mart option? They say Data Mart is faster. Where did these migrated reports go, to the Legacy Data Provider or to the Data Mart? Is there a way to switch after they were migrated?

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

• Right now, a data mart is only available for Dynamics AX, but the Dynamics GP data mart will be released soon.  Check out this post for more info and links:  blogs.msdn.com/.../learn-more-about-upcoming-changes-to-management-reporter-2012.aspx

• Well, I spoke with the original designer of these reports and we discusssed how the tree was generated. He had used the auto-generate tree function. After I was done with it, I reduced the number of lines in the tree from 7696 to 18. One summary row on top and one for each of the 17 companies. The report now runs in about 2 minutes.

• According to the blog site for CPM they already released the Data Mart which is supposed to speed up the reporting capabilities in the MR2012 RU3 Release.

blogs.msdn.com/.../dynamicscpm

Financial Reporting Data Mart for Dynamics GP – Management Reporter RU3 release preview

MSDN Blogs > Dynamics Corporate Performance Management > Financial Reporting Data Mart for Dynamics GP – Management Reporter RU3 release preview

Financial Reporting Data Mart for Dynamics GP – Management Reporter RU3 release preview

Rate This

April Olson  April Olson

Microsoft

755 Points 5 1 0

Recent Achievements New Blog Commentator Blogger II Forums Answerer I

View Profile Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:00 AM

Comments 8

Management Reporter 2012 introduced a data mart for Dynamics AX 2012 and Dynamics NAV customers. This technology has been widely adopted and successful and we are excited to now offer it to Dynamics GP 2010 customers. The option will appear in the Custom Configuration as shown in the following screen shot.

Then they showed where on the configuration console you can check off the Data Mart.