Dynamics Connector - New Map window not showing custom NAV table in the list of available entities

Dynamics Connector - New Map window not showing custom NAV table in the list of available entities

This question is answered

Hello,

I am trying to integrate NAV Jobs with CRM Cases. I followed all steps to enable custom entity for mapping ( as described for example on this blog http://ianpiddington.blogspot.com/2011/07/dynamics-crm-nav-connectornav.html ). I added code to the Integration Managament codeunit ( for the Job table and Job Card page, in the 3 functions by following example for standard objects). I made sure that there is entry for Job in Integration Page and Web Service tables. The Connector is enabled in NAV . When I run the NAV configuration utility I can see the Job Card entity and select it. But If I select Job Card, click on Finish then Test Configuration and Apply, my selection is not saved... ( if I try running the config utility again I see that all standard entities are selected but not Job Card).

Then, if I go to creat a New Map, I do not see NAV Job in the list of available entities. Anyone has a guess why?

I had no problem adding CRM Case by running CRM configuration utility.

Thank you,

Jasmina

Verified Answer
  • There seems to be a problem with the Job web serivce.  When the NAV configuration utility runs it first finds the services (which it seems in your case it did fine) and then it generates an object provider configuration file base on the WSDL of the service, if it cannot generate this file then you will not see the service listed in the "New Map" window.  Could you verify wether or not the object configuration file was generated by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\Microsoft Dynamics Adapter\Adapters\NAV adapter\Object Configuration\<Company Name>?  If there isn't a file there for the Job service, then there could be a problem with the service itself.  Are you able to view the service WSDL successfully in IE?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Connector for Microsoft Dynamics team blog

• Thank you for your response,

We did figure out that the Job is not in the "New Map" window because object configuration file is not created in the ObjectConfig folder (just to test that we copied an existing config file and renamed it to "Job" and we saw that the Job Card stays checked in adapter ..... ) But I do not understand why adapter is not creating configuration files in the first place ( we tried with other entities too, for example Customer Disc. Groups, same thing is happening, the config file is not created).

We are able to view the Job Service WSDL in IE, with no problem.

Any other guesses?

My next thought is to save maps, reinstall the connector and see what happens...

We do have the latest version of the Connector installed so I am not sure that that will help.

• Hello,

Just to inform that we figured out why config files were not created by the Adapter. Our NAV company name contained special characters  (we had the  * sign) so the adapter was unable to create a (Windows) subfolder <Company Name> in the ObjectConfig folder. The integration was using config files from the ObjectConfig folder itself but was not creating new ones. Once we renamed the company in NAV (to eliminate all special characters) adapter sucessfuly created <Company Name>  folder and all config files in that folder, including the Job.

So the lesson is - do not use special chars in you company name in NAV if you plan to integrate with other system through Connector for Dynamics, because you cannot have special chars in folder names in Windows.

All Replies
  • There seems to be a problem with the Job web serivce.  When the NAV configuration utility runs it first finds the services (which it seems in your case it did fine) and then it generates an object provider configuration file base on the WSDL of the service, if it cannot generate this file then you will not see the service listed in the "New Map" window.  Could you verify wether or not the object configuration file was generated by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\Microsoft Dynamics Adapter\Adapters\NAV adapter\Object Configuration\<Company Name>?  If there isn't a file there for the Job service, then there could be a problem with the service itself.  Are you able to view the service WSDL successfully in IE?

• Thank you for your response,

We did figure out that the Job is not in the "New Map" window because object configuration file is not created in the ObjectConfig folder (just to test that we copied an existing config file and renamed it to "Job" and we saw that the Job Card stays checked in adapter ..... ) But I do not understand why adapter is not creating configuration files in the first place ( we tried with other entities too, for example Customer Disc. Groups, same thing is happening, the config file is not created).

We are able to view the Job Service WSDL in IE, with no problem.

Any other guesses?

My next thought is to save maps, reinstall the connector and see what happens...

We do have the latest version of the Connector installed so I am not sure that that will help.

• Hello,

Just to inform that we figured out why config files were not created by the Adapter. Our NAV company name contained special characters  (we had the  * sign) so the adapter was unable to create a (Windows) subfolder <Company Name> in the ObjectConfig folder. The integration was using config files from the ObjectConfig folder itself but was not creating new ones. Once we renamed the company in NAV (to eliminate all special characters) adapter sucessfuly created <Company Name>  folder and all config files in that folder, including the Job.

So the lesson is - do not use special chars in you company name in NAV if you plan to integrate with other system through Connector for Dynamics, because you cannot have special chars in folder names in Windows.

• Thanks for the update, could you please mark the post as answered when you get a chance?  Thanks!