Sales Leadership: Getting Refreshed

Last week on Thursday in Ft Lauderdale, Fl  I provided a closing Keynote program for an international association annual conference,  the program was based on a topic that has proven to be very popular: Gourmet Living: building a menu for life. During the same week I spoke to a group in NY at their 2013 kick off meeting, that topic was: Changing Environment Means Changing; a plan for success!  In both cases, with different programs and certainly different audiences, the “after” the program conversations were identical.

It is normal that after providing a program that members of the audience will come up to me and make a few comments; in both cases everyone commented that they needed the uplift, the new thoughts or simply to be reminded of something they knew.  While I won’t detail all of the comments these words hit me, especially on the plane from Ft Lauderdale to Destin Fl, where I have been taking some time off as well.  During the weekend and the first few days of this week I have monitored email, attended a few conference calls and did some limited management coaching, I have also walked the beach, played golf, enjoyed friends and I am almost half way through a fun book I am reading.  Last year I wrote about the fact that sales leaders were facing “Sales Fatigue” within their sales teams and as well perhaps within themselves.  I offered a few ideas as to how to counter that attitude.  If you want a copy of that blog let me know: Ken@Acumenmgmt.com

On Thursday I will be driving back to my home-9 hours of windshield time. Today I am heading to the Spa for a massage and few other treats.  Why am I opening this topic with you?  I am firmly convinced that you must “Treat Yourself” to maintain a freshness.  My wife had to teach me this, but as hard as everyone works I have come to accept that these opportunities to relax, to treat yourself and to enjoy friends are unique points in time.  Serious sales leadership requires high levels of energy, creativity and the ability to relate to your team, members of your organization and certainly to prospects.  If you are dull because of not taking the time to refresh, your organization will sense this and feed off of your lack of energy and robotic behavior and your sales will suffer as well.

During the program I normally hand out a Personal Pizza and a Professional Pizza (not real-only on paper)  where each of the 8 slices for each pizza  are described by one or two words, we ask each attendee to score themselves from 1-7 (7=Great) as to how they feel about themselves in relation to the word.  They then connect the circled numbers and draw a line connecting the dots. The representation will show if you are in balance personally and/or professionally. We then have instructions as to how to fix your life if you need balance. If you want a copy of our Pizza Test, send me an email:  Ken@AcumenMgmt.com

The message: find time each day to refresh. In my keynote I speak about creating “Extreme Self –Care” by creating daily rituals that relax, (yoga/mediation) are fun (?) and exercise (walking or something more strenuous), and focus on eating better.  Focus on mentally and physically refreshing and your sales results will improve as well.  Off to the Spa.

Ken Thoreson “operationalizes” sales management systems and processes that pull revenue out of the doldrums into the fresh zone. During the past 15 years, our consulting, advisory, and platform services have illuminated, motivated, and rejuvenated the sales efforts for partners throughout North America. Ken’s latest book is: Recruiting High Performance Sales Teams.

Ken provides Keynotes, consulting services and products designed to improve business performance.           Ken@AcumenMgmt.com             www.AcumenManagement.com

Blog:  www.YourSalesManagementGuru.com